BIF with Lumix G9 and various lenses

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Last year was the first year shooting BIF. Although, not an expert with BIF, there was a lot to learn. And still more to learn. Of all the types or styles of photography BIF is the most challenging for me. Most of my photography involves 4K video, hence the reason for G9.

My primary style of AF is Manual + AF using back button AF and focus peaking. I've had good success with it, and missed shots are usually my fault. And all of these pics were shot without tracking AF or AFC.

These pics were shot from June 2018 to Dec 2018 with Lumix G9 and the following lenses:
Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 II
Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6 OIS II

My first BIF shot came out pretty good. My goal is to get at least one good keeper when I shoot birds. Using the Panasonic 35-100 it was easy to track these huge birds. Much easier than tracking erratic small birds.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The next 2 were shot during another visit to the PCH. I caught these, while videoing elephant seals, and catching a sunset.

The next 3 were shot with the Olympus 40-150 Pro while testing the lens for video and photo on the PCH.

The next pic was shot on another road trip to the PCH in Aug 2018. Using the Panasonic 100-300 II. These huge brown Pelican were dive bombing near the shore near the Elephant Seals. Not truly a BIF pic, but almost.

The next pics were shot at Mono Lake using the Panasonic 35-100 using pre-burst (HS1).

The next pic was shot at the PCH in Oct 2018, with the Panasonic 100-300.

The next 3 pics were shot at the Salton Sea in Nov 2018 using the Panasonic 100-300II.

This next pic was shot at Morro Bay in Dec 2018 before sunrise.

The final 3 were shot at the Elephant Seal Vista Point on the PCH in Dec 2018. Using Panasonic 100-300 II.

Well that's about it for my 6 months of BIF photography in 2018. My goal is to get at least one keeper with BIF. Sometimes I burst in H or use preburst or single shot. All depends on the situation. All these pics except for the preburst shots were secondary to the main objective of shooting video of wild life. The great thing about the G9 is the speed and handling. When the opportunity arises, the G9 can work.

I know these are not the best lenses for BIF. And the Lumix G9 is not the best camera for BIF. And, I'm not the most skilled or experienced BIF wildlife shooter. And these are not the best BIF pics compared to what can be done with better lenses, better cameras, and better skilled shooter.

But, it works for me, and the G9 seems to deliver what I want when I need it. Everyone is different, and everyone is at a different skill level of their photography. Perhaps this may be helpful to others considering using the Lumix G9 for BIF.

Thanks for taking the time to review this post.

Tom M

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tom
I have recently upgraded my EM-5 Mk 1 to a G9. I never attempted BIF with the EM-5. This is from one of my first attempts using an Olympus 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 R lens (heavily cropped). I am really impressed with this G9.

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a thread sort of knocking the G9 for BIF but it can turn out some great work, it just doesn't cut it in my situation, i do feel the sensor on the G9 is better for handling noise and colour depth than its obvious competition , as with all things no camera is perfect for all users.

A few examples of what the G9 can do.

P1004643 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1004644 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1002407 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1006197 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Andrewmap

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Martin
Last year was the first year shooting BIF. Although, not an expert with BIF, there was a lot to learn. And still more to learn. Of all the types or styles of photography BIF is the most challenging for me. Most of my photography involves 4K video, hence the reason for G9.

My primary style of AF is Manual + AF using back button AF and focus peaking. I've had good success with it, and missed shots are usually my fault. And all of these pics were shot without tracking AF or AFC.

These pics were shot from June 2018 to Dec 2018 with Lumix G9 and the following lenses:
Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 II
Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6 OIS II

My first BIF shot came out pretty good. My goal is to get at least one good keeper when I shoot birds. Using the Panasonic 35-100 it was easy to track these huge birds. Much easier than tracking erratic small birds.
View attachment 761743

The next 2 were shot during another visit to the PCH. I caught these, while videoing elephant seals, and catching a sunset.
View attachment 761750
View attachment 761751

The next 3 were shot with the Olympus 40-150 Pro while testing the lens for video and photo on the PCH.
View attachment 761753
View attachment 761754
View attachment 761755

The next pic was shot on another road trip to the PCH in Aug 2018. Using the Panasonic 100-300 II. These huge brown Pelican were dive bombing near the shore near the Elephant Seals. Not truly a BIF pic, but almost.
View attachment 761756

The next pics were shot at Mono Lake using the Panasonic 35-100 using pre-burst (HS1).
View attachment 761758
View attachment 761759
View attachment 761760

The next pic was shot at the PCH in Oct 2018, with the Panasonic 100-300.
View attachment 761761

The next 3 pics were shot at the Salton Sea in Nov 2018 using the Panasonic 100-300II.
View attachment 761762 View attachment 761763 View attachment 761764
This next pic was shot at Morro Bay in Dec 2018 before sunrise. View attachment 761765
The final 3 were shot at the Elephant Seal Vista Point on the PCH in Dec 2018. Using Panasonic 100-300 II.
View attachment 761766 View attachment 761767 View attachment 761768

Well that's about it for my 6 months of BIF photography in 2018. My goal is to get at least one keeper with BIF. Sometimes I burst in H or use preburst or single shot. All depends on the situation. All these pics except for the preburst shots were secondary to the main objective of shooting video of wild life. The great thing about the G9 is the speed and handling. When the opportunity arises, the G9 can work.

I know these are not the best lenses for BIF. And the Lumix G9 is not the best camera for BIF. And, I'm not the most skilled or experienced BIF wildlife shooter. And these are not the best BIF pics compared to what can be done with better lenses, better cameras, and better skilled shooter.

But, it works for me, and the G9 seems to deliver what I want when I need it. Everyone is different, and everyone is at a different skill level of their photography. Perhaps this may be helpful to others considering using the Lumix G9 for BIF.

Thanks for taking the time to review this post.
Great shots and your final comment is spot on!

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
I have a thread sort of knocking the G9 for BIF but it can turn out some great work, it just doesn't cut it in my situation, i do feel the sensor on the G9 is better for handling noise and colour depth than its obvious competition , as with all things no camera is perfect for all users.

A few examples of what the G9 can do.
You seem to be doing very well with the G9, those BIFs are great.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
A simple question for all of you, and I ask not because I think you're uninformed, but because I myself was oblivious.

I just learned there were no less than 3 firmware updates available for the G9. both 1.1 and 1.2 deal with autofocus issues such as tracking and the AF shifting to the background. 1.3 is more video-centered.

1.1 and 1.2 sound like they specifically address some of the problems you BIFERS commonly mention. I just updated mine from V 1, haven't tried it yet.

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A simple question for all of you, and I ask not because I think you're uninformed, but because I myself was oblivious.

I just learned there were no less than 3 firmware updates available for the G9. both 1.1 and 1.2 deal with autofocus issues such as tracking and the AF shifting to the background. 1.3 is more video-centered.

1.1 and 1.2 sound like they specifically address some of the problems you BIFERS commonly mention. I just updated mine from V 1, haven't tried it yet.
Mine had the latest version and it was still a problem.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom