Bicycle

What do you think is the gravel bike potential around Moab? My impression is there should be a lot of appropriate roads, but I’ve never been out there thinking about that specifically.

Brian
There are plenty of great dirt roads like the La Sal Loop to Geyser Pass/Clark Lake/etc or then lower roads like Cane Creek past Amasa back. Some of the more popular ones are quite washboarded like Sand Flats. But there are plenty of "roads" where I ride my fat bike because they are less travelled and much sandier. All of the area in Behind the Rocks is a blast, it is where they used to do the 24 hours of Moab.

-Joe

A few from a Friday night rip.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BrianMc

Mu-43 Rookie
There are plenty of great dirt roads like the La Sal Loop to Geyser Pass/Clark Lake/etc or then lower roads like Cane Creek past Amasa back. Some of the more popular ones are quite washboarded like Sand Flats. But there are plenty of "roads" where I ride my fat bike because they are less travelled and much sandier. All of the area in Behind the Rocks is a blast, it is where they used to do the 24 hours of Moab.

-Joe
How late in the year is Geyser Pass clear of snow? We’re probably not going to start heading out that way until Thanksgiving. It looks crowded there right now.

How late in the year is Geyser Pass clear of snow? We’re probably not going to start heading out that way until Thanksgiving. It looks crowded there right now.
It is insanely crowded right now! November it tapers off and goes back to normal during non covid times. Anyone's guess this year! They always plow geyser pass to the nordic trails, but I think you'd be good until about mid December for riding a regular bike. I've done it on my fat bike in the winter because of the snow covered road, but the descent was so cold. I can let you know before you head out here though.

-Joe

Just having some fun with the 9mm BCL on this little piece of slick rock I found out in the Cameo Cliffs.

That was an early one, I think I like the one with the bike lit up (by my phone) more.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

I am going to keep trying with off camera flash, I'll get it one day :)

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
Washington Heights, Manhattan, New York City 2020-05-07

20200507-GWB Sunset and street-OEM1-43972.jpg

CMYK

Mu-43 Rookie
Washington Heights, Manhattan, New York City 2020-05-07

View attachment 857768

View attachment 857767
For me, 1st image is perfect street capture. Makes me think, is she riding on the wall, is the floor the wall, photo confused my eyes in a great way. Wheels pattern adds to the impact, but it’s the position of bicycle/shadow on horizontal line that makes it for me. I’m viewing it with the top cropped a tiny bit, removing the gravel.
Was the scene opportunist or set up, is subject known to you, did it need many takes? Curious.

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
For me, 1st image is perfect street capture. Makes me think, is she riding on the wall, is the floor the wall, photo confused my eyes in a great way. Wheels pattern adds to the impact, but it’s the position of bicycle/shadow on horizontal line that makes it for me. I’m viewing it with the top cropped a tiny bit, removing the gravel.
Was the scene opportunist or set up, is subject known to you, did it need many takes? Curious.
They are candid shots from what used to be my 22nd floor appointment with a view of what is usually a very busy area of Uptown Manhattan. However, this was shot during the rapid down trend as we went into May after the horrendous peak in from mid-March to mid-April it here so there was a lot less traffic overall. People in the neighborhood still had to go out for errands or some exercise. I got the same visual cues from the first one. The shadow is what provides the feeling of action and what caught my attention at the time. I was routinely going out on the balcony when the shadows were longer in the morning and afternoon. I shot at least 40 frames as the girl was just riding around in circles in that small area almost directly beneath my apartment.

20200507-GWB Sunset and street-OEM1-43957.jpg

hernan

Mu-43 Regular
3cycle

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

outside an antique store

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom