1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bibble 5.2.0 official release

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by grebeman, Dec 21, 2010.

1. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Whilst there may not be many of us using Bibble it might interest some that version 5.2 is now available in beta form, for :43: users new camera raw capability has been added for the Panasonic GF2 and GH2 with lens corrections for the Panasonic 14mm, f/2.5.
    Other cameras outside the :43: range have also been added.
    I have updated my 5.1 version (running in linux) and all appears to be well.

Introducing Bibble 5

Updated Bibble 5.2.0 is now an official release as of late January

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Barrie,

I am considering this as an alternative to purchasing lightroom3... but still have to give it a good go.

What are your thoughts so far?

Cheers :)

3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi Kosta,

I find it more than adequate for my purposes which tend to focus on natural history, landscapes and the like, so hopefully the subjects require minimal post processing anyway.
    I was fortunate to purchase my licence back with Bibble 4.9 in 2008 (from memory) and so had a free update to 5 (which was a long wait but a major improvement) and as far as I know I have free updates at least until June 2011.
    The other great attraction for me is that it's cross platform and I now us linux, having never progressed beyond Windows 2000, so again it suits me just fine.

Barrie

4. jeb

jeb Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 27, 2010
    Hi!! New guy here, first post!
    I bought an e-pl1 a month ago, I'm making tests on different softwares before making a choice. For me Bibble is the best denoiser software out there with noise ninja integration it just so easy and the result are awesome!

5. petercheck

petercheck New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2011
    Bibble 5.2 includes major upgrades in a couple areas, and it also includes a huge number of smaller improvements and bug fixes, as well as support for the latest cameras. I noticed in the LX3 review that they're using the 5.2 beta of ACR.

6. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    How tall are the hurdles to use Bibble vs PS, Ef and others?

I have a trial version and first off cannot load tiffs because of "alpha" channels and something else.

I am not well versed on this stuff, having used old PS5 to work with BW negative scans to remove film dust, pinholes etc. Images are not that large...pixelwise.

Adobe is out for me because they fail to support their products long-term.

I acquired first "good" digital camera (Oly ep-2) and want to work with RAW format...

7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    With my registered version of 5.2.0, now an official release rather than beta, I can load TIFF files. They are the last to load in the preview window, they appear as a box with a cross through it until either raw or jpeg files have loaded and Bibble supports working on them, although of course certain functions that are raw only will not be usable with either TIFF or JPEG files.

I have just downloaded an e-book "The Bibble Survival Guide" (not free), but it is more explanatory than the guide produced by Bibble. The web site for that is Bibble Survival Guide

By all means pm me or post again in this thread and I'll try and offer help where I can.

Barrie

8. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Bibble and Me

Thanks, Barrie, will keep your kind offer in mind. When I figure out where i am in all this, and buy something.

I want to use RAW. In past I would process to digital as tiff and clean up negative and then save as a tiff or a PS file and print from a large file jpeg. I will get there at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  9. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    Hmmm it seems more than a bit odd that someone can ask people to pay for an image processing package that does not fully support TIFF.

10. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Bibble is a raw converter and in common with other such software there are certain functions that cannot be carried out on either TIFF or JPEG files. It's impossible to alter the white balance for example, it's impossible to recover highlights.

In that regard Bibble is no different to any other similar software.

Barrie

11. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Bibble and ORF

Cannot open ORF RAW files with my B 5. I am obvious oblivious and doing something way wrong.

12. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    How are you trying to open your raw files and where are they. All my files are stored in various folders on a separate hard drive., I am not using the Bibble catalogue set up, up until now anyway.
    So to open a file I open Bibble and on the browse panel down the left hand side I go down through the system until I find the folder containing the files i want, I then click on that folder and thumbnail images will begin to appear in the Thumbnail panel which by default is across the top of the Bibble interface. In the bottom lefthand corner you should see two progress bars, scan and previews. The scan bar will fill quite quickly, the preview bar will take rather longer. Probably best to leave the preview bar to fully complete, although images early in the sequence can be opened as later images are still being previewed.
    To open the image click on it's thumbnail in the thumbnail panel.
    I have .ORF raw files from both an E10 and an E1 and they open successfully.

I hope the above is not at the level of "teaching you to suck eggs" and that you soon get better success.

Barrie

13. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Bibble and ORF

I kinda do like you do, but the file, which does have the Bibble logo, comes up in the work space as white blank. I will try it again later. May email them as the trial version may not contain the upgrade.

And, very much appreciate the help, very much.

14. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Bibble and Me

It works, but have yet to alter a pic...I am dim.

15. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    No comment :biggrin:, seriously, pleased you're making progress with it.

Barrie