1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

BH Has Gx8 in stock - I just bit the bullet.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by D7k1, Aug 21, 2015.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Ok, I was going to wait till I could get the 12-35 but I all ready have 6 native lenses and I'd miss lots of 4K video stuff (and I had the cash on hand). So I got the silver one to go with my Silver EP5. I'll mostly be shooting on a tripod and won't missing get a Panasonic OIS lens until December. Have not been this excited in a while as video has become more and more of a hobby for me.

This completes my camera body purchases for a while (D7k/D7K1/EP5/Gx8) - each has a specific role and when I hit "order" my NAS melted. I know no camera is perfect, but from what I've seen (as I've posted in various threads here) as a video camera for wildlife shooting high magnification (using either my oly 75-300 or Nikkor 300mm with TC's) I now have video capabilities that I've only dreamed about before.

Should get it on the next Thursday and will try and give a field comparison between it and the D7100.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    We all love the bullet-biters. Looking forward to hearing from you and asking questions.

3. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Brown ruck one day away!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I got a chance to hold one at a Panny briefing. It is really quite chunky. It reminds me of the A7II, size wise. The Panny rep commented that the extra size was due to heat buildup FWIW.

5. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I sill haven't decided between the 12-35 or the 14-140 II, but mostly I will be doing 4K video with this camera and one of those two lenses plus the Oly 75-300 II - work now done with the 7100 and 300mm or 12-24. I don't think I'll mind the size.

6. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    The 12-35 is a great lens. The A7II feels very comparable in hand, and I haven't picked up a 7100 in a while. The EVF is stellar and it handles well, I think you will like it, it was just bigger than I expected.

7. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Ok, got the camera and everything seems functional. Will try and get some camera time today and start my "impressions post". I was surprised at how small it is compared to my D7100 after all the internet "monster" talk. Weighs about the same as my EP5. I can tell that, like my EP5, this is a "something" special camera. Tried a little 4K video, handheld the 14 Pany & GWC1 - steadied it in Mercalli v4.0 and down sized it to 1080 - Wow incredible stuff.

8. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Size all depends on your reference point. Glad you like it.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am guilty of some of that. :blush:

Another forum member posted a photo of the GX8 with 15mm next to an X100 and they were nearly identical in size. X100 gets talked about as being small all the time.

10. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    :thiagree:

Personally I find the X100 chunky as well :D

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not saying I don't. It's just funny (sad?) that one gets spun as a premium compact and the other as a behemoth mirrorless camera.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think a legitimate amount of the buzz was due to inaccurate comparison images online. People started noticing that other elements of the renders weren't to scale.