1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Beware the winter gear churn!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Dec 11, 2015.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've commented on this in years past.

I have noticed that when winter rolls around (now in the northern hemisphere) I am more prone to serious (and money-losing) gear churn inclinations.

With the shorter, darker days, and more time sitting around, it's much easier to look at your gear and think that the problem with your inspiration is you have the wrong lens, body, filter, camera bag, etc. etc. If you just had something different, you'd be on fire again.

I would posit that it's just the nature of being indoors with less light.

By all means, if you want to try something new, have at it, but over my 6-7 years as a (more or less serious) hobbyist, I've come to recognize the winter doldrums as a deceiver of gear unhappiness. I cannot count the number of times I've churned gear in the winter, have been no happier with my shots, and ended up re-buying my moved-on lenses again in the spring or summer, and losing money all the while.

Best to use that money for some full spectrum light therapy, a trip (far more inspirational than a new lens!), a massage, a ski weekend, or whatnot.

Happy Shooting!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 6
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    That's why I love living in east Texas. Easy to shoot all year (even from my kayak) and we get all the northern birds here for the winter. I actually shoot more now then the summer, just to damn hot and bright to be out even half the day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Take up snowshoeing and make a 24x36" print for your living room!

NbeUE3Z.

(And take up medium format film. Also, buy the new 25mm/1.7 for $99, apparently. And build yourself a DIY Fuji Instax camera using an old Mamiya Press lens. So, about that gear churn...)

• Like Like x 7
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Holiday sales don't help, either. Over on the Photo Lounge forum, they always do a Singles in January challenge, which means shooting and posting a shot for each day in January using a single lens/camera combination. It's one of my favorite contests simply because it gets me out and shooting during a gray time of year.

• Like Like x 2
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wish I could say I have no idea what you are talking about..... :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I love window shopping this time of year...

7. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I agree. I've bought and rebought kit many times - especially during the winter months. Note that I live in southern California and winter is really just a concept for me, but still...

I bought and sold an Olympus E1. Thrice. During winter.

Same with my m4/3 kit.

You know what helps? Honestly...NOT visiting these forums and just going out and appreciating what I have.

8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I am so glad I have my next several purchases all planned out. There is really not anything that could change my order. Even an announcement about the new fast weather sealed primes (if not weather sealed then they will not really interest me) as I will have completed my list by the time they come out. My list is simple:

1. 300mm ƒ4.0 Pro
    2. 2nd EM1 w/ grip
    3. 8mm or 7-14mm Pro
    4. 8mm or 7-14mm Pro that I did not get above
    5. 12-40mm Pro
    6. 40-150mm Pro
    Already have the money for the 300 tucked away. If I am able to save enough for the next item before release I will get the next item. But that money for the 300 is untouchable except for the 300.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I agree. But that A7rii still looks tempting...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Darn, I read this post a few weeks too late.

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    lol. Well, it's your purchase (and posting) on the 42.5 that got me to post a WTB on that same lens, that got me thinking about this again!

Moderation in all things. Just a warning to those of us prone to this ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I mean why not get a new lens and then go to the desert for some photos? I mean that is rational right?

-Joe

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    While the whole thread is timely, this quote really resonates. What makes me start contemplating a lens purchase or trade? Seeing the amazing photos others are taking with that lens... Have been thinking hard about trading a 7-14 Pro for a Voigtlander 0.95 for indoor low-light use, but once its spring again I'm sure I'll be happy to have kept the 7-14!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    However, if you are on the other side of the gear churn, you can pick up some really great deals :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    You can say it all you want, believing is another question.

16. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Completely agree. I have bought more gear that I later decided I didn't really need than I care to admit, and almost all in the winter "off season." It is a sickness, I tell you!!

17. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I'm in for that one as well, it was a great experience last year - in fact, I've already chosen my camera/lens combo, which means I now have time to think about a theme (even though it's not compulsory) :)

M.

18. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I really love this photo . . . where was it taken?

19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    This is also one of the great things about m4/3, at least for me. Since getting into m4/3 I've felt less impulse to churn my event gear. And since either of those bodies cost more than my entire m4/3 kit. Saves me a bunch of money. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Winter is a great time to revisit old photos. For me, the desire for new gear is at its peak when I am bored and want something photographic to do.

I've learned that this is the best time for me to look at old photos and use those editing techniques I was too stupid or too lazy to try on the first go around.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1