1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Beware Olympus and Panasonic - Kodak(JK China) is launching MFT camera..:)

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Bhupinder2002, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Re-branded E-PM2?

I just hope the quality is there, or at-least this helps bring the price of the OMD down some more.
    Looks like a a re-branded E-PM2. No?

TS560x560?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.petapixel.com%2Fassets%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F01%2Fkodaks1b.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    This is a low end camera, it will not compete with the OMD, it might compete with the EPM2. The company is a start up it does not have the resources to compete with the big names. We probably see them in niche markets.

4. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Is this the digital competitor to the renowned Vivitar film camera marketed to those confused by to get the card out of the camera? :)

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'm not understanding the tone in this thread. :confused:

I would think that we as a community would want this camera to be successful if not for the additional potential sales of Olympus & Panasonic lenses alone....

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Maybe the tone is a China thing. I'm sure there are many out there like me who loathe the idea that everything one buys comes from China. The camera companies whose products I buy do a good deal of their manufacturing in China, thus my E-M5 is China made, but under Olympus quality control. However, the Fuji X series looks very interesting to me, for lots of reasons, but the fact that it is mostly manufactured in Japan is a bonus.

I don't like China. There, I said it. For all sorts of reasons that have no place in this thread. I read labels when I'm shopping and will go way out of my way to buy something -- like a tea light candle, for goodness sake -- that is not made in China. The dog food and treats I buy all say, "Made in USA" (or some place like Ecuador), not because I'm a xenophobic idiot, but because I assume that if it doesn't say where it is made, it's made in China. Sometimes one doesn't have a choice, and like I said, lots of current m4/3 stuff is Chinese made. But having a Chinese company join the consortium is not news that makes me glad, nor, on principle, will I buy anything from it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Guess I have to ignore all the positive threads here about Chinese batteries, chinese adapters, etcetera....I guess that stuff is okay then for some...

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Sorry I did not mean to step on anyone's toes. I was speaking for myself, and I was suggesting that many others feel the same way. I was not making recommendations for anyone else.

I know I'm not the only person on the planet, or even on this forum, who hates the ubiquity of things "made in China". I am speaking for myself, though I suspect the same sentiment is the unspoken subtext of much of the "tone" that you had noticed.

I should add that I do buy generic Chinese made batteries for my Olympus cameras rather than pay Olympus 50-60 dollars for their own Chinese made batteries with the Olympus name on them, and I've never had a problem with the ones I've bought. It's not quality per se, but the fact that it is reaching a point where it is hard to buy anything that isn't made in China. There are all sorts of reasons that I think that is a bad thing for everyone else, but they have nothing to do with this thread. Suffice it to say that it produces an "Oh no!" as my gut reaction to the news announced by the OP.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bhupinder2002

???Tone? Hahhaahh u guys are amazing .... there is no tone here.I just meant that they should be ready for more competition. I wrote JR china to let some people know that Kodak was bought by that company. Ofcourse I want more and more companies to launch MFT products .I have no problem with Made in China products as long as they work just fine .
    Cheers

10. Bhupinder2002

Hi Larry ..I have no problem with made in china things but there should be a quality check. I wont be happy if any XYZ company starts churning out MFT camera bodies and tarnish the image of MFT format.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

11. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I think the wider acceptance of M43 as a standard amongst more manufacturers is great. I can't see a down side to this except if the product is so poor it is detrimental to the overall reputation of M43. And in such a case it would likely just fail and go away.

I think this is great and am looking forward to reading more about this!

12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

It's a quality expectation thing.

Yes, you really should.... :thumbup:

:biggrin:But seriously .. it is just a standard quality, of the products from there, kinda thing.. While it is possible to get something of quality manufactured in China, the odds are against it happening. Which is why it's understandable, and fair, to assume most things from china are Junk.
    It would be like, the opposite of how we feel about German products, and what we would assume if this new camera manufacture was from Germany instead.
    Wreck.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bhupinder2002

Thats exactly my concern as well. But yes, we would all love to have more and more camera manufacturers joining MFT band wagon.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Do you view Panasonic & Olympus as competitors side rather than collaborators?

And there's the Sony sensor factor now too......

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Just remember that I didn't make the remark about China - my post was just a response to it :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wonder if this is a true m4/3 camera or simply a camera that uses a sensor the same size. I have not heard of either Kodak or JK Imaging having joined the m4/3 consortium.

They also have a weird smaller camera coming out that features the sensor built into the lens and looks like a Nikon J1/2. There was one on show at the recent electronics show. Those who saw it said it looked poorly made and plasticy.

I don't see this camera giving Olympus or Panasonic any real competition. It might cut in a little bit at the entry level but with older Olympus bodies selling for cheap I doubt even that!

I am more interested to see what if any lenses they come up with. They are not going to be matches for the better Oly/Pana models but might make fun "toy" lenses. This is if they are truly m4/3 that is.

17. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Disclaimer: Chinese-Canadian, though I am trying to see this from a non-biased point of view.

Umm.

JK Imaging is certainly not Chinese.

Kodak camera licence to unknown start-up | PhotoCounter

1. CEO is a white dude. No racism intended.
    2. JK Imaging Ltd. is headquartered in California.
    3. Why is a Chinese company joining m4/3 even news? Shouldn't you be more concerned about how much the US owes China in debt?

A new company joined the m4/3 consortium bearing the Kodak name. It could be good, it could be bad, whatever. I think it's most definitely more beneficial for the system as a whole to attract more companies to join.

• Like Like x 4
  18. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Certainly I remember.... I appreciate the reminder.:thumbup:
    And just remember what a sense of humor looks like :biggrin:

Nope... I don't think we should be; Unless that debt was for a failed ยต4/3 camera company. :rofl:

IIRC this is more a forum about cameras and photography and less about political science. I could be wrong tho, its been a while since I checked.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, thank you David! This looks like a US based company to me too (just like Eastman Kodak was).... but maybe it just looks that way to me because I'm Chinese-Canadian as well. ;)

20. Bhupinder2002

Hahah ..I think it will be both ..collaboration and competition
    Cheers