1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Beware GetOlympus returns

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by tkbslc, Oct 7, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wanted to share my experience buying from Olympus and advise others to be very wary of purchasing from getOlympus.com.

It looks pretty good at first because Olympus advertises easy returns for any reason within 30 days. They even include a return form! But then when you read the fine print, you find that they say it will take Approximately 25 business days to receive your refund. That is quite absurd! However, what is worse is that 25 days came and went and I had heard nothing. Not even a status update. An email to their "orders@olympus.com" address listed on the form went unanswered. After a few more days I filled out a Paypal dispute and got my money back quite quickly. If I had paid with my credit card and had to go through my bank this would have been even more difficult.

So, they received the return on 8/15 and I got my refund on 10/3. That's a really long time to check in a return and hit the refund button. I wonder if I would have ever received my money at all if I had not involved PayPal.

Olympus contracts with TechData to handle the returns and refurbs and it sure seems like they are very poorly run. As such, I would not recommend buying from them. I think I'd rather buy something used off ebay if I was trying to save a buck.

(I know this isn't a hot deal, but this seemed like the most appropriate forum for placing this)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Yes I agree with this. I never did get the E-M1 rebate and I just gave up trying to deal with these folks.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I 've had an opportunity to deal with GetOlympus for a return, a simple stop by my bank rectified that situation. As their polices are not as customer oriented as other places, I can't see buying anything new from them again.

As for rebates, I think the many of us that complained via, email, phone calls to HQ, and letters about rebates is why we now see the instant rebates here is the US.

4. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Sorry to hear about you guys having such bad experiences with Getolympus. For the record, I have to say that the only time I had any direct dealings with them they were very helpful and went above and beyond. I'd ordered a silver 17mm and when it arrived I realised that it was a different shade of silver from the camera body. It's a little thing but it bugged me, so I decided to change it for a black one. Normally I would have to return the silver lens, wait for the refund and then order a black copy, but I thought it would be worth emailing them to see if they would do a direct swap instead of me having to go through the protracted refund process. They agreed straight away and actually shipped the replacement as soon as I sent them the tracking number for the return package — they didn't even wait to inspect the lens I'd returned.

I guess the difference is that in the above case I wasn't actually asking for a cash refund, the processing of which may be being handled by a different — and evidently less efficient — department.

• Like Like x 1
  5. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Olympus can be a bit disorganized. It is possible to call Olympus and get a hold of a person so that might be an option. If you have proof (e.g., tracking) that indicates Olympus received the return, then you should be able to raise a dispute with Paypal or your credit card provider. Still a pain though - Olympus should do a netter job managing returns.

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can understand a delay for a rebate or Cash Back from a special deal but this doesn't seem ethically right for a returned item refund. Downunder when I got my Cash Back payments it was specified to take 6 to 8 weeks, I think mainly because they need the income from the retailers that were selling the items, otherwise they're further in the red while they wait for payment of sold goods.

7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    In my case I bought directly from Olympus and the coupon was acknowledged as correct by Olympus. The problem was the third part simply did not pay the rebate. I would suspect that this was simply kept by them. The problem is proving anything. I did not get a cheque but all other aspects of the rebate were handled correctly, so this is not directly an Olympus problem other than they handled it with a third party.

Part of the problem is that Olympus is trying to straddle an uncomfortable fence. They want to sell direct and also have a dealer network. My solution to this is to simply not buy from them directly anymore.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've purchased refurb deals a few times and have returned stuff. Yes it has taken longer than I really think it should but I did eventually get the refund. At the prices I paid for the stuff I've kept it's been a little hard to really complain that much since it's always been with one of their 20% codes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I did get an excellent deal on the item I returned, too. I think if I bought something from them again I would resell it on e-bay rather than try to return it. I honestly trust a random stranger on ebay more than Tech Data at this point.

I would most definitely NOT buy something new from them at retail price. Most of the major online retailers make it so easy to return things. Last time I made a return, B&H refunded me within hours of package receipt. So why buy something from someone who is going to take at least 5 weeks to refund you (25 business days by policy)?

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I actually have sold off a few of the refurb things I purchased and used for a little while, at a profit on some. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    25 business days is a really long time to process a refund, especially when Olympus acknowledges they've received the return back in their warehouse. I'm waiting on a refund now and basically they're saying their finance department has to wait out the clock before issuing a refund.

Olympus isn't alone, however - I've experienced long wait times for order returns or processing at at least 3 other manufacturer direct stores (Panasonic, Nikon, and Sony (before Sony shut it down)). The only direct store I've consistently received prompt service is from Canon. Sometimes I regret selling off my 6D and lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    If there is no discount buying directly from Oly, this is one good reason to stick with a retailer like Amazon.com where returns are usually zero hassle. On the other hand, when they have refurbs and those periodic coupons, those deals can be hard to pass up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    My one and only return to getolympus.com was actually a positive experience, but it required a phone call and a conversation with a supervisor. In the end, they accepted a refurbished E-M5ii outside the 30-day window, as a courtesy exception and were kind enough to fast track the refund. I agree that their standing policy and normal process is not great, but they are capable of and happy to provide good customer service when asked.

• Like Like x 1