1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Beware - Fake BLN-1 Batteries

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DigitalD, Jan 22, 2014.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Just purchased what I thought was an original battery from a third party seller by way of Amazon and received it today. When I received the battery I noticed something weird about the label. It didn't look right to me. When I read closer there were some misspellings and other oddities, specifically the charging current (760mA, 8.4v should be 1830mA, 8.76v) was incorrect which seemed suspect to me as I have purchased fake batteries in the past for other systems. I poked around here and some other blogs and found a post (elsewhere) that someone had actually contacted Olympus and confirmed the counterfeit battery.

Here is the photos and the write-up:

1. Font of text is different from all the examples shown by the ones further processed in Vietnam
    2. Japan spelt with a j in lower caps
    3. lower max charge current
    4. "explode" is spelt "explose"
    5. no space after the comma before disassemble
    6. spaces not constant in different lines (eg, too many spaces in the words "Do not incinerate"
    7. UL Logo is not correct (note the font of UL as well as the placement in the circle). Usually UL logo is something no company can screw up, because the original logo is provided to the manufacturer. If the logo is wrong, the manufacturer of this battery is definitely not UL certified.
    8. Missing degree symbols ( ยบ ) next to temperature levels

The one on the right is the fake. Olympus confirmed. Please be aware!!!

DSC05855_small.

The Seller (Miramar Sales) assumed responsibility and has issued me a return. Said he purchased them from a Vendor at a Las Vegas convention but could not recall which one and seemed generally concerned about the counterfeit and removed all listings from Amazon. He also paid for shipping back to him.

• Like Like x 5
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for the heads up!

Was the seller Amazon directly, or a 3rd party seller?

3. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    3rd party. He contacted me right away as soon as I put in for the return. He said his buyer had bought 3 dozen of them in Las Vegas and had sold about 10 of them so far. He told me he is pulling them off his stores. He seemed generally concerned yadda yadda so I dont want to out him by any means. I confirmed they are off Amazon now. I should have known as he was selling them for $39.95 usd. I thought maybe they were finally coming down in price. Lesson learned :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Your original post is pretty unclear about who the seller was, might want to update that. Amazon didn't sell you a fake. Might as well call out the seller specifically.

5. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    interesting they put worse MAH charge ratings on them, you would think they would be higher :) Glad they didn't Explose on you :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Ok I cleaned it up. The seller brought them down and I have confirmed. As in previous post I dont want to call him out. He seemed generally interested in getting them out of circulation and keeping his credibility. I cant fault him for that. If you really want to know feel free to message me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    It may be beneficial for us to know, as the seller has shown (what I would call) high reliability, as he is taking them off his store as soon as he knows. I would rather deal with such a seller, knowing if there is a problem that they will take care of it. Perhaps putting a segment about how the seller has handled it above the general return policy (removing others from his store, apologizing, etc) along with his name in the OP if you are concerned about his reputation. It is your call.

8. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Done. Thanks!

9. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Wow, you have a sharp eye! The only thing I noticed without you pointing it out was the lower maximum charge current. I wonder if that lower maximum is exceeded by the Olympus charger? I guess you could try, and see if it exploses. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. oly18

oly18 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Interestingly enough... my original BLN-1 batteries also say "explose" instead of explode.... the other differences are the same though...

11. Dch

Dch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2013
    Just checked mine that came with the camera: capacity and voltage are correct, but it also sais 'explose'!

12. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Yep. All labels have some typos but it's the culmination of all the discrepancies that point out the counterfeit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk