1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

between 20mm/f1.7, 25mm/f0.95 , 25mm/f1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by csulestio, Aug 18, 2011.

1. csulestio

csulestio New to Mu-43

Aug 18, 2011
    Im sure its a busy thread somewhere in this forum but let me ask anyway, I already have the panny 20mm f1.7 should i get the voigtlander 25mm f0.95 or the Panny Leica 25mm f1.4 .....or get both? or dont get anything at all!

Opinions much appreciated!

im new to this forum and this is my first post. :smile:

2. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Use the money to go somewhere and shoot pics with the excellent 20mm f1.7. Both the Voigt and the Leica are excellent lenses but, unless you absolutely need shallower DOF, they are no better than the 20mm.

Or, if you have LBS, go for it! :)

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I was in the same position and ended up getting the Nokton 25mm a few months ago (I think it was actually the same week the PL25 was released). Since then I've considered selling either the 20mm or both the 20mm and Nokton to get the PL25. As it stands at the moment, I've decided to keep both and give the PL25 a miss for the moment.

In the end, the PL25 only adds half a stop light and DoF over the 20/f1.7. It may possibly be sharper, but the 20mm is sharp enough for me not to care - and it's also half the size and nearly half the price. This means that at the moment, if I want an efficient, compact lens, I use the 20/f1.7. If I want something 'interesting', I take the Nokton.

As it turns out, the Nokton basically lives on my GH2 - I really only use the 20/f1.7 when I need to get a shot (events or whatever).

That's probably a fair point in regard to the PL25, but it doesn't really work like that for the Nokton.

The 25/f0.95 is just 'different' - it's really not a matter of being better or worse. There's some things it does that no other lens in Micro Four Thirds can do. For that matter, it does things that very few lenses from any format can do. But at the same time, it's compromised in areas that we've come to accept as givens in the digital age, and it's big, heavy and very expensive.

You don't get the Nokton instead of another lens - you get it because it's the Nokton :smile:

4. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    ^what kytra said!
    the 20 is a great lens. if you want to stay autofocus and one lens i'd just get the 25 panny.... that said, it's a great lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. blacvios

blacvios Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2010
    I simply love the nokton's rendition wide open, i even got a ND8 to shoot wide open in daylight. Its a different animal altogether IMHO.

6024780171_1d40535455.

• Like Like x 9
  6. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95.

The Voigtlander 25m lens is not a lens for everyone. It is simply brilliant in low light and when manual focus is required. Manual focus is a dream on my new E-P3 but was fairly slow on the E-P1 due to the low resolution monitor and more awkward camera controls for changing to MF and zooming in on the LCD (even after optimising the controls via the E-P1 settings).

The Voigtlander 25mm is probably my favourite lens and I use it a lot with apertures from around f/1.4 and smaller where image quality is excellent. Like all ultra-fast lenses (except for $10k lenses like the Leica M mount lens and the out of production Noct-Nikkor) image quality wide open has its compromises which you can exploit or ignore. The close focus distance of 0.17m is useful too.

The Voigtlander is a lens that rewards patience. If you don't shoot with manual focus lenses, and are not use to using stop-down metering, you might find the Voigtlander may not be for you.

I cannot comment on the 25mm f/1.4. It isn't a lens that has ever interested me.

I love manual focus lenses as I quite often shoot in conditions where AF just doesn't cut the mustard. My next MFT lens will be the glorious Olympus 12mm f/2 which has the sweetest MF conrol of any autofocus lens on the market. From my recent play with it, the MF is as good as that of the Voigtlander and that is high praise.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    If you have money to burn, grab the voigtlander 25mm f0.95. I want to try it out, and know it's not for everyone, but I really like the samples coming from it.

The PL25... assuming it focuses quickly like the 14-45 or 12/2, would probably be good for eventish things. Otherwise, I'm not sure I could justify owning both it and the 20/1.7. If you didn't have the 20/1.7 already, then I'd say it'd be a much harder decision, heh.

8. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    i was lucky enough to get a good price 2nd hand nokton, it's bulky, heavy, manual focus, pretty much defeat the purpose of m43. At 0.95, the razor thin dof sometimes just makes you go nuts, but if you subject doesn't move much, you can pretty much shoot iso800 max at dim light, that leaves the other 2 lens out of the race. Sharpness is really decent at 0.95, stop it down to 1.4, it can really compete with 20/1.7. Can't say for 25/1.4. If I need AF, 20/1.7 works for me as it's cheaper, it's a pancake, it's really sharp wide open, can't ask for more except for a speedier AF. I'm not sure if I ever need 25/1.4, thats just me.

Here's a shot of nokton wide open to share.
    5966815445_ef45b70d36_z.

• Like Like x 1
  9. csulestio

csulestio New to Mu-43

Aug 18, 2011
    Wow,great pictures guys! And thanks for the comments... IMO what I gather is that using your lens in the maximum aparture isnt really the sharpest (optimal) point. Just like WongL said: "(Nokton) Sharpness is really decent at 0.95, stop it down to 1.4, it can really compete with 20/1.7" - using the Nokton at F1.4 gets the best out of the lens, in my experience the 20mm Pancake is sharpest at F2.2. Hence following this trend the Leica 25mm would probably be sharpest at around F1.8. Pushing the Nokton ahead of the bunch with its Sharpest (& most optimal) resolution at F1.4!!

So I think im still getting the norton and keeping the Panny 20mm.

The Leica 25mm wont be missed, unless maybe if its got a pancake body...which it doesnt.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    ... or OIS, which it doesn't.

I x2 the trip idea though. Look, round numbers, you're talking $1000 here - enough for a plane ticket just about ANYWHERE in the world. For the price of the Nokton, you can throw in a couple nights hotel and still "break even".

Having interesting subjects will have a much greater impact on interesting photos than ANY equipment ...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Well said...

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I try to take advantage of it as much as possible.

My work sending me to interesting places is the only way to compensate for my poor photography skillz LOL

13. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Just to clarify: nokton gets real sharp at 1.4, & very sharp at 2 & 2.8. 20/1.7 is probably just a tad sharper at 1.7. The difference might be close between the 2 lenses at F2. nokton corner sharpness at 1.4 though would not be so. Shooting portraits is not a real problem though.

14. ojee99

ojee99 New to Mu-43

Sep 2, 2011
    (off topic:)
    Wow, did you use flash on this one?

15. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm already quite happy with my 20mm and don't see any reason to shell out more money for the 25mm (either of them; though I would probably get the PL if I were to pick one). Plus I prefer the slightly wider FOV of 20mm vs. 25mm.

I'm glad that we m4/3 users have such a dilemma, though. :smile:

16. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    that's phenomenal and has convinced me to purchase an ND8!!

17. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I would get the 25/1.4 AF is the key plus its sharp

18. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    i will get the leica if i were to choose.

imho, if you have the panny 20, might as well think of getting 45 1.8 oly. focal length wise, they are better spaced.

cheers!