1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Better Value? 45mm or 45-175mm

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by jlouisalmeida, Apr 6, 2015.

1. jlouisalmeida

jlouisalmeida Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    I know these 2 lenses are in different leagues but I am torn. I have similar alternatives already, the Olympus 40-150 and an adapted OM 50mm that takes great shots. I found 2 lenses online for a good deal, both in used but good condition. The 45mm is $200 and the 45-175 is $150. Is one of these a better value than the other that I should definitely JUMP on?

2. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    If sharpness is important to you...the 45mm sits 4th behind the 42.5, 75, and 25. One can never have too many fast lenses ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hard for me to answer without more details as to what you shoot. Obviously one has a faster aperture and the other a nice long zoom range and stabilization. So it's a bit like asking whether you should get a Ford F-150 or a Ford Mustang. Depends whether you need to tow a trailer or you want to lay some rubber at stop lights!

So, what other lenses do you have and what do you want to photograph?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    From strictly a value point of view the the 45-175 and 45 seem to be selling for about the same price on eBay (condition and included items being equal). So from that point of view the 45-175 is a better value.

But for what you already have the 45 would probably be more useful since the 45 will be smaller / lighter than your 50mm and will AF.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I would say that the O45 is more different from the OM50 than the P45-175 is from the O40-150. The native lens will be sharper, more compact and has the advantage of auto-focus.

In terms of image quality, you're not going to notice much difference between the O40-150 you have and the P45-175. Both perform quite well (given what they are). If you're shooting with a Panasonic body without built-in OIS I would give the P45-175 an edge, and I also definitely prefer the quality feel of the Panasonic over the Olympus. Also, if you're using it for video, perhaps the Panasonic's Power Zoom feature would be useful. It's also got a bit more reach.

As others have noted there's really no way to compare the two lenses, so the choice really boils down to which you feel you'll have more use for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Get the lens you want/need. The bigger delta in price you can buy for vs market price will not make the lens more useful to you.

7. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    different lenses. Normally i'd recommend the 45, as i never bothered with manual focus of the OM 50mm. But the 45-175 for $150 is a steal. If you sell the 40-150 (usually goes for $100), it's only $50 more, and you get the longer range, it's (arguably) sharper at 135-150mm, and it's an internal zoom (doesn't extend).

In the end, it's just a question of what do you find yourself using more...

Also, why not both? $50 difference for the 45-175 after you sell the 40-150...

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Since you already have the 40-150, I'd start looking at the O75-300 or P100-300 if you want something longer. If you need better light gathering, then the 45/1.8 is hard to beat.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    Thanks all, I am contemplating both. My gf shoots m4/3 as well, so the more lenses the merrier. Now a 70-300 and 60 macro popped up on CL too... ah I have GAS!

10. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    Sooooooo....
    I bought both :rolleyes-38:

Excited to use them! Thanks for the tips :)

Sidenote: With the E-M5 and the 45-175, is there a way to turn of the IBIS and use the Mega OIS in the lens? Would love that for video

• Like Like x 3
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well obviously BOTH was the best option! Great lenses, you'll enjoy them.

12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not with the E-M5 Mk1 unfortunately. But given that the 5-axis IBIS works in video mode why would you need the Power OIS?

13. jlouisalmeida

Jul 7, 2014
    Agreed! :)

Yes the IBIS on the E-M5 is fantastic but the sensor shifting produces some odd results in video, so I would rather it be controlled by the lens itself, even if it provides less stabilization. But I understand if it is not an option.

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ahh, the jello... so that's what it is...