Better lens hood for the 12-50?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Promit, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Here is a random photo of the 12-50mm with its prescribed lens hood (Oly UK):
    6509766553_fcaf3cbef4_z.
    This looks like a piece of plastic trash to me. Nevermind the stupid price; this just seems like a patently bad lens hood. The 14-42mm II lens hood is very similar and it's also junk.

So what I'm wondering is, does anyone know a decently sized petal type hood that will actually shade the lens properly without vignetting it? I would love for it to be a bayonet mount but I'm pretty sure I'll have to settle for filter threaded.

2. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    I agree this hood probably doesn't doesn't provide much shade, but it's the only one that I could find that didn't cause vignetting when shooting wide. Amazon sells a JJC made LH-55B hood at a much more reasonable price. That's what I ended up buying. As nearly as I can tell (and I compared the hoods side-by-side), the JJC is an exact duplicate of the over-priced Olympus version. You can see it here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-replace...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340143218&sr=1-1

3. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

Thats the one I got as well, a nicely made piece of plastic and it works pretty good. Of course it doesn't look as sexy as a petal shaped hood, but if I'm taking photographs I can't see it anyway.

Steve

4. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    I also purchased the JJC model.

5. The hood was designed originally for the 9-18mm, so I would question it's effectiveness on the 12-50mm. Does anyone know if the genuine Olympus hood is reversible? I bought the JJC version which fits well but can't be reversed.

I've bought a few JJC hoods now and they've all fitted very well so far. One amusing fact is that the hoods come in boxes that have a sticker that is meant to identify it as containing a "genuine" JJC hood. It kinda reminds me of this guy...

5488226783_59ffde0f05_z.

• Like Like x 4
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You guys are mistaken if you think the petal hood design was intended to compensate for "zooms". A hood, whether round or petal type, are only effective at the single focal length they were designed for. The petal design simply means that the hood provides more coverage since it accommodates for the aspect ratio of the film plane.

Some of the older photogs here would remember rubber and plastic hoods from the 80s that were designed to be extended or retracted depending the focal length currently set. If you are really concerned about flare, those are the only "real" solution... albeit a bit cumbersome. Another effective solution is simply block the sun with your hand.

I have the JJC version of the hood on mine. I accidentally order two when I purchased the 9-18mm and to my surprise it worked on the 12-50mm that came with my OMD.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
  8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    No one here said that, but okay. I don't know if square or petal type hoods are more effective, but I do feel that the LH-40 and LH-55B are not worth the dollar of plastic they're made of, whether you buy the official Oly part or the JJC knockoff or whatever. The intent was not to complain about Oly's hood pricing, but to complain about Oly's ineffective designs for the hoods. I expect the Panasonic hoods (see the 14-42, 12-35, etc) to be much more effective.

I've been looking around and I'm ordering one of these:
    Vello 52mm Snap-on Tulip Lens Hood (Version II) LHS-52II B&H
    I'll report back on how it works out.

9. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I happened to have an aftermarket hood, originally bought for my Canon 50mm f/1.8. It is round shape and, although it doesn't look that sexy on the 12-50, it may work well. I will be shooting tommorow (no shortage of sunlight in Greece, for that matter) and shall report results, potential vigneting, etc.

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm trying to understand what exactly in the design is not up to par.... or trash. I understand that the 9-18mm hood was designed for... but you make it sound like its made out of cardboard or something.. a bit dramatic (repeated a couple times with no details I might add). Material wise I see no different than most consumer level plastics... I'd say its a tad stiffer than my ol'Canon 24-70L's hood.

I find all hoods ineffective on zooms.... petals are practically window dressing (someone up there said "sexy" which is my point). The only reason why I have one on the 9-18mm because its almost used exclusively at 9mm.

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have the JJC hood for my 12-50 too & with a UV filter on, it doesn't help a great deal, but it does give some physical protection to the front of the lens & that is why I will always have the hood on (all my lenses) unless there is a particular reason to take it off (like close flash use).
    The hood is actually nicely made with non-reflective black paint on the inside & either black or silver on the outside.

12. There is no real difference in the effectiveness of a rectangular shaped hood versus a round petal hood. When you look through each type of hood just as a lens would, you should be looking through a rectangular window (and that is assuming the the round hood has not had the petals squared off). The only reason why we have round petal hoods is to make them big enough to be reversed on the lens for storage.

The problem with the LH55B on the 12-50mm is that the hood is designed to work on the 9-18mm. With such a big difference in the angle-of-view the 12-50mm should have had it's own unique (larger) hood.

13. jaeae

jaeae Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2014
    Borrowing the old thread..

I just modified the JJC lens hood, I had some thin rubber and camera screws laying around.

Shows how much there's room for extra shade, without vignetting. Plus, I wanted a hood with some rubber on it, to act like a bumper :) Note no rubber sheet at the bottom, to prevent rain drops from bouncing to the lens..

XB250003.

XB250004.

XB250005.

• Like Like x 2