1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Better in-camera sharpening

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Apr 29, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've been trying to get the camera JPEGs from my E-PM1 closer to the quality of my standard Lightroom preset. One of the settings I'm not having a lot of luck with is sharpening - the sharpening, bet it at +0 or +2, seems coarse and not good at revealing fine details.

I'm curious what others have tried for in-camera sharpening. Here's an example:

Camera:
    i-x2V8TM9.

Lightroom:
    i-SNqJrFG.

The original scene:
    i-xbVJLLf-L.

Thanks,

DH

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I use -2 in sharpening, but i don't use Lightroom.

3. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Sharpening is the last step that should be done on an image after you adjust everything else and after you decide what file size you want to produce. So I go with a neutral setting when I process the RAW file and then I do sharpening last using gimp. I don't do anything special in camera because one setting can't fit all situations.

4. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Europe
    I tried to do the same on my E-PL3, but turning the sharpening up one notch from 0 seemed to introduce quite a bit of noise in out of focus areas. So I turned it back down and resigned myself to doing sharpening in post.

5. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Lightroom probably does selective sharpening, so the effect is only applied to areas of detail. The camera just sharpens the whole image, which introduces artefacts to areas of low contrast. It's unlikely you'll be able to get the same result in camera.

6. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    The best method is said to be no in camera sharpening and then the last action in post processing as mentioned above.

7. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    If you are adjusting sharpness, return that to standard, and try reducing the Noise Filter setting to low or off.

MacBook

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've tried all 5 settings now. -2 is less harsh, but fine detail is also softer.

I also have the RAW files. But I want to be able to quickly preview and it's hard to judge sharpness when the JPEG and the RAW use such different sharpening settings.

Hmm... Well that sort of begs the question why the in-camera sharpening is so unsophisticated. Isn't the point of a good JPEG engine to get output close to what you'd get from RAW? I understand not sharpening heavily by default, but if the option is there, it seems like it ought to be able to match a fairly generic sharpness preset (50/1.0/50).

Right. But I'm trying to get output comparable to my LR output (modulo color differences) to accurately gauge sharpness before I send the RAW file to the computer for processing. It doesn't need to be a perfect match, but close would be nice.

Noise filter is off (always!).

Thanks,

DH

9. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    I don't understand your difficulty. If I take two RAW shots in camera, I just use the JPG preview, zoom in, and then I switch back and forth to select the sharpest shot. Even thought the JPG preview is not high resolution, this works great for me to select the better shots. Then the neutral setting I have in camera is also the setting I use to create a JPG out of the RAW file later on my computer. The final sharpness setings I use before sharing JPGs are not used for any comparisons - those are mainly applied because in scaling down, the images tend to lose some sharpness. Those settings depend on the size I scale down to and to some extent also on the nature of the image.

10. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    On the G3 I set the Intelegent Resolution to high - this sharpens only areas where there are edges and texture and detail, and leaves alone areas like sky and water that shouldn't be sharpened.

Also I turn off all noise reduction or dial it down to -2, as that can do a job on detail and texture and soften the image.

Doing the above two things at least on a G3, I can then set the sharpness to +2 on whatever Photostyle I am using, and get good sharpening, done on the the image as it comes off the sensor, and before it is "baked" into the jpeg. I can still add additional shapening with Photoshop.

11. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That makes sense, but the question for me isn't whether one shot is sharper than another, but whether it is critically sharp to begin with. Having a JPEG that could mimic a well-sharpened RAW file would be eminently helpful in that regard. Likewise for quick previews or sending off, it would eliminate the need to do extra post-processing first.

Yes, I've turned noise reduction off (or as close to off as the E-PM1 will let you). I'm still not impressed with the sharpening results though, and I've now tried the 5 different levels.

Thanks,

DH