1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Better Beamer for FL-50

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by RenaudVL, Aug 27, 2014.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Does anyone knows what model of Better Beamer fits the Olympus FL-50?

Can't find any info on this...

Thanks

2. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Jacksonville Beach, Florida
    Allen Forrest
    Did you ever find an answer to this question?

I did some searching, and ran across an alternative from Harbor Digital Design for their XT Flash Extender Kit. They have a specific model for the Olympus FL50.

Does anyone have any experience with that device?

3. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    No, didn't get an answer, didn't pursue it...

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have both the Better Beamer and Harbor Design units that I use with Canon flashes. I like the Harbor Design units much better, as the Better Beamer has scorched numerous flashes and lens bodies so far.

You can figure it out by comparing which size the flash is closest in size to. If you can measure the size of the FL-50, I can compare it to my Canon flashes.

5. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    Thanks, kinlau!

However, I don't have the FL50R yet. I just got the new 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 teleconverter, to use with my EM-1. I am considering getting a FL50R to use with that combination.

Currently, I have a Nikon D600 and 80-400mm and use a Better Beamer on my Nikon SB-910. I am trying to "lighten the load."

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have looked into this possibility but never followed through. I'd be interested in any follow up.

7. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    You could just make your own. There's plenty of DIY out there for flash extenders.

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Maybe, but I also want something that is made solidly & functions they way it is intended. I was hoping there was something worth buying instead.

9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Solid is a relative term. I just got the Better Beamer FX-6; it's two plastic arms that extend from the flash to hold the fresnel lens with velcro. The arms attach to the flash head with a velcro strap (which I've replaced with a rubber strap). It works but the whole thing looks like it can be pulled off in a stiff breeze. I do like the portability though.

FWIW, the arm on FX-6 will work with flash heads a hair under 2" high. It works on my Metz 58 and Yongnuo 560 III.

10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah I was about to say. I have a beemer, and TBH they're pretty pricey for what they are. One could get better function by a custom unit that is optimized for flash and the distance needed. EG: The town south of me has a 3d printer at the Public Library. And the plastic fresnels are cheap as dirt.

11. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The Harbor Design units are significantly more solid than the BB, no wobble.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    I ordered a (used) FL50R and a Harbor Design extender from B&H yesterday. I'll post my opinion on the combination when I receive them, and have a chance to try them out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Allen Forrest
    I received my Harbor Design extender from B&H yesterday. Apparently, they don't keep them in stock, so they had to order mine from the manufacturer. I haven't had much of chance to use it yet. It is more stable than the Better Beamers, and fits on my FL50R well. The whole setup seems pretty solid. I'm looking forward to trying some wildlife shots with it.

14. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I use the FX-4 with my FL50R.
    It has a design that could be more robust, but anything that would make it more robust, would make it less portable. I like it for what it is. Even if I never pull it out of the bag, it's so lightweight and compact, that it doesn't effect my packing or load bearing ability at all.(makin myself sound like a mule lol)