Better Beamer for FL-50

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have both the Better Beamer and Harbor Design units that I use with Canon flashes. I like the Harbor Design units much better, as the Better Beamer has scorched numerous flashes and lens bodies so far.

You can figure it out by comparing which size the flash is closest in size to. If you can measure the size of the FL-50, I can compare it to my Canon flashes.

AL904

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Allen Forrest
You can figure it out by comparing which size the flash is closest in size to. If you can measure the size of the FL-50, I can compare it to my Canon flashes.
Thanks, kinlau!

However, I don't have the FL50R yet. I just got the new 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 teleconverter, to use with my EM-1. I am considering getting a FL50R to use with that combination.

Currently, I have a Nikon D600 and 80-400mm and use a Better Beamer on my Nikon SB-910. I am trying to "lighten the load."

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You could just make your own. There's plenty of DIY out there for flash extenders.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Maybe, but I also want something that is made solidly & functions they way it is intended. I was hoping there was something worth buying instead.
Solid is a relative term. I just got the Better Beamer FX-6; it's two plastic arms that extend from the flash to hold the fresnel lens with velcro. The arms attach to the flash head with a velcro strap (which I've replaced with a rubber strap). It works but the whole thing looks like it can be pulled off in a stiff breeze. I do like the portability though.

FWIW, the arm on FX-6 will work with flash heads a hair under 2" high. It works on my Metz 58 and Yongnuo 560 III.

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Solid is a relative term. I just got the Better Beamer FX-6; it's two plastic arms that extend from the flash to hold the fresnel lens with velcro. The arms attach to the flash head with a velcro strap (which I've replaced with a rubber strap). It works but the whole thing looks like it can be pulled off in a stiff breeze. I do like the portability though.

FWIW, the arm on FX-6 will work with flash heads a hair under 2" high. It works on my Metz 58 and Yongnuo 560 III.
Yeah I was about to say. I have a beemer, and TBH they're pretty pricey for what they are. One could get better function by a custom unit that is optimized for flash and the distance needed. EG: The town south of me has a 3d printer at the Public Library. And the plastic fresnels are cheap as dirt.

AL904

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Allen Forrest
I ordered a (used) FL50R and a Harbor Design extender from B&H yesterday. I'll post my opinion on the combination when I receive them, and have a chance to try them out.
I received my Harbor Design extender from B&H yesterday. Apparently, they don't keep them in stock, so they had to order mine from the manufacturer. I haven't had much of chance to use it yet. It is more stable than the Better Beamers, and fits on my FL50R well. The whole setup seems pretty solid. I'm looking forward to trying some wildlife shots with it.

faithblinded

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I use the FX-4 with my FL50R.
It has a design that could be more robust, but anything that would make it more robust, would make it less portable. I like it for what it is. Even if I never pull it out of the bag, it's so lightweight and compact, that it doesn't effect my packing or load bearing ability at all.(makin myself sound like a mule lol)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom