Best wide angle?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Tothepetercopter, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Tothepetercopter

Tothepetercopter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2012
    What would you all consider the best wide angle for under 500$ for my EP3?
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Lumix 7-14mm f/4?
  3. Tothepetercopter

Tothepetercopter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2012
    That's a really nice one but way out of my lens budget lol.
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Second hand 7-14/f4, with a couple of weeks of overtime?
  5. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I just got the 7-14 and love it. I've spoken to a few people who purchased a 9-18 only to sell it a few weeks down the line to buy the Panasonic. Going the "expensive" route might cost you less money in the long run.
  6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The best wide angle really depends on what you want to do.

I love the 9-18 and have no interest in selling it for a 7-14. It is a little slower and not quite as wide but tests have indicated it is as sharp as the 7-14. And it is very small and can take filters. Under $500 a used Oly 9-18 is possible

The Oly 17/2.8 and Panny 14/2.5 are the only native wide primes that meets your $ requirement.

The Samyang 7.5 fish-eye is also available in your price range ($300ish) and it is getting good reviews but it is manual. And a fish-eye.
  7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I've yet to see one in person, but the new slr magic 12mm 1.6 is supposed to be $495. Barely under your budget limit, but supposed to be amazing.
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The mZuiko 9-18 zoom is an awesome lens for a lot less money than the 7-14 zoom.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    If this is true then I recommend the OP attempt to fleece these people for their excellent and almost new 9-18mm lenses for ~$400-450.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I love the 7-14. It produces beautiful images, and the difference between 7 and 9 is really substantial if you like ultrawide rectilinear distortion. I'm a huge fan and really only shoot that lens at 7mm. If you're wanting wide just for landscapes and are not a fan of distortion, the 9-18 would probably do you just fine.
  11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The 7-14 and 9-18 are both great lenses without enough optical difference to worry about. The 7-14 is obviously really nice for its wider angle and it's a bit faster, but the 9-18 is much smaller, much closer to your budget, and takes filters. It's also a really useful walk around range, going up to 36mm at the longer end. I could have afforded the 7-14 and would love to have it, but I found the 9-18 a better set of tradeoffs for my needs. If you can afford one but not the other, that makes your decision easy.

12. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    The Samyang 7.5mm is an outstanding ultra-wide for under $300. You can de-fish it in PP if you'd like something less fishy.
  13. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Are we talking about wide or ultra wide? The Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 is a great choice without heading into distortion. And it can be had really cheap, too.
  14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I think this is a very important point. If you like to experiment and use rectilinear distortion as a part of the imaging process, the 7-14 is for you. But if you just want a wide-angle lens with as little distortion as possible, I'd go with the 9-18, which is a smaller and lighter lens, BTW.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Not to mention ~3/5 the price. Those other 2/5 are so worth it, though :biggrin:

Attached Files:

16. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I might be the only one looking forward to the upcoming Panasonic converter that turns the 14mm into 11mm. I've never used such a converter and I expect it'll be nowhere as good as the native wide lenses, but at least it'll be affordable. I hope.
  17. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    If you stack 3 or 4 of them together, you may even be able to get out to 7mm :rofl:
  18. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Not the only one.

Me too!
  19. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I have the m 9-18 and love, I have considered switching to the m7-14 but the IQ of the 9-18 is so good I just don't see the point, sure the extra 2mm wider would be nice but for me it's just not worth the extra bucks.
    The 9-18 is so small and compact too and as mentioned can take filters.