1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Best wide angle prime m4/3 lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MarkoPolo, Mar 20, 2014.

1. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    I have the 12-40mm f/2.8 lens for my EM-1. I am considering the 9-18 for wide angle landscape shooting, but I am wondering how much wider 9mm really is compared to 12mm.
    Are there any 7or 8mm primes that are rectilinear that might work better?
    I really don't want to wait a year or more for the new 7-14 f/2.8 for a good wide angle.
    I would be OK with a manual focus for this purpose.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Well, since you said prime, I think the only options out there are the 12/2 from Olympus, and the new 10mm from Samyang. Neither are very wide. You can get the 7.5mm fisheye from Samyang and de-fish. I may be leaving something out, but I think you'll have to go with a zoom if you want rectilinear wide views.

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The best of the current wides is the Panasonic 7-14/4 by a fair margin. But the 9-18 is a perfectly adequate lens and quite small, and if you've not tried ultra wide-angle lenses before it's a significantly smaller investment (can be found secondhand for $400 or so) than the Panasonic.

The only advantage the primes have over 7-14 is size and/or max. aperture. But the choices are fairly limited - the Samyang 7.5/3.5 is small and sharp but it is a fisheye, and while you can correct the image to become rectilinear the quality will suffer quite a bit. There's a new Kowa 8.5mm prime, but it's quite large and even more expensive. And there's a new Samyang 10mm f/2.8 which is not so expensive, but also quite large.