1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best wide angle lens - Shooting in Norway

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Bianca Gervasi, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Bianca Gervasi

Bianca Gervasi New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2018
    I very recently bought an Olympus OM-D e10 which came with 2 lenses:
    M.Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5 - 5.6
    M.Zuiko 40-150mm f4 - 5.6
    However I’m going travelling soon and am looking for a good wide angle lense with (hopefully) no distortion like the fish eye lens and none of the lenses I have are really satisfying this kind of photography. I was looking at the 12mm f2.0 or the 12-40mm f3.5 but not sure if the small differences are worth it.
    Any suggestions??

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The Olympus 9-18 is a lovely little lens and is tiny. Perfect for travelling, which is when I use it.
    It is rectilinear, not fisheye, which is what you want.

The 12-40 f/2.8 Pro is a wonderful lens, and would replace your 14-42, but is more expensive and larger and heavier.

12mm is wider than 14, but not all that wider. Once you have tried 9mm you won't want to lose it.

(Edited to make it clear I meant the 12-40 f/2.8 Pro.)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bianca Gervasi

Oct 28, 2018
    Thanks! I was also looking at the 9-18mm but couldn’t find any reviews on it till now

4. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    I think the 12-40 Pro is one of the most versatile lenses in the system. Personally I think that 12mm is sufficiently wider than 14mm (it's why they sell 24mm and 28mm primes for FF or film). Despite having the 7-14, in the mountains I almost always reach for the the 12-40 instead. Wider has its place, but past 12mm you start making things look small and distant, and have to really compose for a strong foreground. The 12-40 also does great portraits with the 2.8 aperture. The 9-18 would be great little lens, but I would get more mileage from the 12-40. YMMV. (I too started with a 14-42 kit, and found it worth the upgrade)

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Bianca Gervasi

Oct 28, 2018
    So would you recommend the 12-40mm f2.8 over the 12-40mm f3.5?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    +1

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Mountain

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    I've not heard of the second lens. I prefer the 12-40 over the 14-42 and 12-32 lenses that I also have. Its big and expensive, however. What do you like to photgraph?

8. Bianca Gervasi

Oct 28, 2018
    I’m heading to the Lofoten Islands in Norway next year so it will mainly be expansive landscapes of jaggered mountains & waterfalls. Hence why I think having a wide angle lens on the trip would make a great asset

9. Mountain

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. I'm sure you mean the 12-50 f3.5-F6.3 for the second lens? If I could throw in another suggestion how about the Panasonic 12-60 F3.5-5.6 which can be had on the Buy and Sell board for quite a reasonable price. I have one and it's really nice lens, plenty sharp and not too heavy. I use it on my Pen-F as the main walk-about lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The 12-40 f/2.8 Pro is in a different class to any of the other lenses with similar ranges. I also have the 12-50 and the Panasonic 12-32 and while they are OK, the 12-40 is far better.

But you have a very small camera and the lens is quite large and heavy and expensive. I stick to my suggestion of the 9-18 for you, and keep the perfectly fine 14-42 that you already have.

• Like Like x 2
  12. oldracer

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Do not underestimate the importance of this. I took a 7-14 to Vietnam and Myanmar last January and sold it the instant I got home. If the lens is awkward and unpleasant to carry you will not have it when you need it. The 9-18 is easily pocket-able.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The more I think about this the more I think the 9-18 would work fine. We did England/Ireland for four week a few years ago and I had the 9-18, the 14-150, 17mm 1.8 and a Samyang 7.5 FE with me and my back thanked me for it. Go with the 9-18, pick up a used one and you won't regret it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

There's a fairly decent wide angle adapter for your Olympus 14-42 II as well, if you wanted a budget option. That will take your 14-42 to 11mm. I don't know if they are worth full price, but if you are patient you can get a used one for very cheap.

Here's a review that covers 3 Olympus lens adapters. For the straight wide angle option like you want, scroll down to the section for the "Olympus WCON-P01 Wide Converter":
    Olympus PEN Converter Lenses Tested

• Like Like x 1
  15. bassman

bassman Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    I have the 9-18, and it is a fine lens that I often carry when traveling. And I rarely use. I find that 12mm (I have the 12-35/2.8) is almost always wide enough for me. But if you want to add a lightweight and effective wide angle, the 9-18 is the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2017
    York, UK
    Another vote for the 9-18. It needs to stop down for decent corner performance, so it’s definitely an outdoor wide-angle, but sounds perfect for your requirements. So very light and easy to live with, and with a really useful range (you’ll not want to be without 9mm, but you’ll also be surprised how often you use 18mm).

I’d recommend pairing it with the LH-55C petal lens from the 12-50mm, which is a lot easier to live with than the square-cut LH-55B.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. oldracer

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Interesting idea. I do hate that square lens hood. Does the LH-55C mount in a way that it doesn't vignette at 9mm? If so, I'll get one.

18. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    I use the Panasonic 12-60/3.5-5.6 as my GP travel lens.
    I chose it over the 14-150 because I wanted the extra little bit more on the wide end, more so than I wanted the long end reach.

One thing with the 9-18 ultra-wide, is that you have to use it properly.
    Even though it is not a fisheye, if you tilt a wide lens, you will have perspective distortion. This is why in the film days, the 28 was the widest lens that most people could comfortably and easily use. The 24 required more care to minimize visible distortion.

An option is to shoot multiple shots, then stitch them together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland MA
    If by "soon" you mean in the couple of months coming, you will be traveling in winter and may find low light levels limiting the usefulness of the O9-18. The O12/2 might be the more appropriate choice, especially if you will be after any kind of night time sky shots. Indeed, the slowish zooms you have would be very well supplemented by a fastish (f/1.8-2) prime or two. This is a well-established practice for many travelers, myself included.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2017
    York, UK
    No vignetting in my experience, and reversible too. More discussion here: Lens hood - Oly 9-18mm - reverse mount

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.