1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best way to pack a Pelican style lens case ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by phigmov, Jan 4, 2015.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    So I have a new kitten.Which means a little bit of chaos. Which means me worrying about my lenses and cameras sitting on a shelf. Which led me to think about popping the expensive ones into a case. So I bought a couple of Pelican style hard-cases.

They look like this, and they're about 345x290x145mm -
    case.

Before I start pulling out the foam, do any forum-ites have any tips or techniques for setting these up ?

Do you fit lenses in horizontally (ie pluck long & wide but shallow) or vertically (pluck deep) ?

I also picked up some silica gel cartridges (instead of the bags) to prevent moisture build-up - would you leave space to pop these in ?

Would you plan the layout before pulling out the foam or just start plucking ?

How close to the sides would you put a lens (it looks like the foam is pre-cut in 1cm cubes) ? Would one block around the edge be sufficient ?

I wouldn't use these cases for transport - its mainly just for safe (cat-proof) storage in the house. So drops would be minor; bumps would be more likely.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I used to use the pick and pluck foam with my first Pelican cases. For fitting, just work right up to the edge of the foam (you can only pick and pluck so far). Because I had large lenses, I always laid them down, first arranging them on the foam to see how they would all best fit, including camera bodies and accessories. It doesn't really matter how you arrange them. Later on I swapped the foam for the flexible inserts, as that meant I could re-arrange things at will. I still use the foam, but not the cases, as they really became too unwieldy for general use. I use one now as a great tool chest.

• Like Like x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Cheers Ray.

Do you bother with desiccants to combat humidity and fungus in these boxes ?

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I sure do, in our environment they are pretty essential. I buy the soft packs from eBay in lots of 10 or so (large size), which can be reused by warming. I did buy some of those metal encased ones, but they really weren't all that good and didn't regenerate like advertised.

• Like Like x 1