Best way to import AVCHD video from Pany

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by Rider, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Specifically, I have the GF1. I just copied the AVCHD directories to the hard drive, and that seemed to work fine for Windows Media Player and other programs, but not for the PHOTOfunSTUDIO which came with the camera. It won't recognize the files. So what, right? Or is there a reason to use PHOTOfunSTUDIO to import the video?
  2. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    The files in the camera are recorded in .mts format. The main advantage using the PhotoFun.... software is batch transferring the files on on your hard drive and converting them in m2ts format, sorting them by date, day or month. It would take a lot of time to sort them manually.
  3. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Why does it change the extension from .mts to .m2ts? Adobe Bridge has difficulties with .m2ts, so I prefer mts.
  4. kinkoman

kinkoman New to Mu-43

Mar 7, 2011
    i am going to give up on AVCHD, cause no good way to organize the videos on mac. Photo Fun doest support mac, and light room doesnt read AVCHD at all......
  5. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    There are plenty of good ways to organize them on a Mac. The question is, what do you want to do with the videos?

If you import them into iMovie, it will convert the AVCHD file to an intermediate codec.

What I would suggest would be to invest in a BIG hard drive (external FW800 if possible - I just got a Seagate 1.5TB FW800 for $99 at Best Buy) and immediately transcode your files to an intermediate CODEC. If you don't want to spend too much money, you can pick up Cineform HD for around $100. This will transcode the AVCHD to a Apple ProRes (HD, standard or LT). It's a big file size, but it's manageable. It's also a LOT easier to edit using ProRes (which are .MOV files) than it is to edit AVCHD.

Once you've transcoded, you can drop any of the movie files directly into any Mac video editor you wish.

6. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    I agree with you. AVCHD is not very well supported on computers.
  7. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    In addition to that both Premiere and Premiere elements let you edit AVCHD files without conversion on a Mac. VLC, which is a free download, lets you view them.

VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!
  8. tamoio

tamoio Mu-43 Regular

Its not very well supported on Mac.

Apple sort of missed the train on AVCHD and they had to play catch up.

. . .giving up on AVCHD would be sort of like . . .giving up on RAW or JPEGs

Lots of folks are editing AVCHD for their daily bread (including me) but we might not be doing it on a Mac.