best way to get in to vintage glass?

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Rather than throw out questions to strangers on the internet, the first thing you (or your friend) need to do is ask yourself: why you are doing this?

That will shed more light than anyone here can.

I tried it when I bought my first m43 body, the EM10, as a way to stretch my gear budget. I used my old Minolta lenses. You get what you pay for.

As for lens "character" or creating "interesting" photographs, I don't go for that. I think those are just terms to justify awful results. Some people think shooting without a lens, or through a prism, creates interesting results. I don't.

Based on results I've seen (from my images and others) I would not suggest using vintage glass as a benefit of the m43 system.

Just because you can't doesn't mean that you should.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Rather than throw out questions to strangers on the internet, the first thing you (or your friend) need to do is ask yourself: why you are doing this?

I tried it when I bought my first m43 body, the EM10, as a way to stretch my gear budget. I used my old Minolta lenses. You get what you pay for.

As for lens "character" or creating "interesting" photographs, I don't go for that. I think those are just terms to justify awful results. Some people think shooting without a lens, or through a prism, creates interesting results. I don't.

Based on results I've seen (from my images and others) I would not suggest using vintage glass as a benefit of the m43 system.

I have some excellent shots taken with my original OM lenses. One is printed at A2 size.

It is just a different approach.

E-510_JAK_2008-_7052486_E.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Richard

Some people like to shoot photos of rusty bicycles and stuff. Not my thing but so what?

Some people like to shoot with old glass.

Each to their own, imho.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik

Thanks for your insightful comment!

RnR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hasse
Expensive or cheap: if you put a focal reducer, Zhongyi, Viltrox, Metabones, or crappy no name, on, for example, a Zeiss Biotar, or a Leitz Summicron, you are not shooting a Zeiss, nor a Leitz, any more!

Extra optical elements added to ANY lens will change the original optical recipe of this lens.
By that argument, even using a 'dumb' adapter will change the original optical recipe of the lens. The M43 sensors have a 4mm filter stack on top of their sensors. Now this optical stack of glass may not change the focal length of the effective system, but it sure does affect the resultant output of the image.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/sensor-stack-thickness-when-does-it-matter/

This is one of the reasons why folk on digital full frame platform will use companies such as KolariVision to install a thinner optical cover glass to get closer to 'film performance' for their manual focus glass.

Anyways its just a hobby and it just doesn't matter what glass folk are using or how they are using it. The important matter is the joy they receive from their hobby :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom