Best way to display your photo portfolio online?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bl0at3r, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    I've used Flickr for years, and have had a 500px account for a short while, I have a bookface and also have used Picasa/google+. I have also had my own website where I displayed my photos. Occasionally I also share a photo in Dropbox if I am going to link to it in a forum such as this...

Indecisive about the best medium for displaying my photos online? Yes indeed! :confused:

I am not a pro, have no intention of selling anything and do this just for fun.

But I do get twitchy about the disjointed way I seem to be using loads of different systems and services to do the same task.

I was more than happy using flickr but since the big update I just don't really like it and I think their servers or something regularly struggle as it seems very unstable now IMHO.

I liked the whole community aspect of it too, the groups and commenting system.

Anyone else moved away from Flickr?

What do you use instead?

What is your photo workflow for displaying your photos online?

Help me find inner peace and settle my OCD please :)
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My favourite websites for viewing groups of my photos online is and, and the best thing about them is that if you already have a flickr account that has some semblance of organisation (sets, tags, etc) then you already have a well organised fluidr and flickriver account (because they access the flickr database for content).
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i keep sticking with flickr for the community
    but really.. all i do is post some pics to groups, and it just gets a few more likes, rarely anyone bothers to comment,.. unless u get an explore, then ur flooded with useless comments. so its not REALLY a good reason for me to stay. i was actually just looking around for more options. i had tried blogger and wordpress and tumblr before, but just couldnt get what i wanted simply. im going to check out as they have an app for my ipad mini while im out n about town, and i like that aspect... like wordpress had.
    you gotta pay for this one.. but if it gives me more of a look i want, im good with that
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013

the only limit is photo dimension, and you choose if let people copy or not your pics.
    I'm not using so much because I'd like a site let me use gpl license, but I found it interesting. Servers are EU based

(PS: I'm not a pro, so I use it simply to charge pic online, but for few €, you can arrange a good "HD" presentation)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I post my pictures to 500px and occasionally link them here in the forum or else where. I like the appearence of the site and the "social features" (like, favorit, comment) are enough for me.

I also enjoy browsing other people's images in order to get some inspiration, as well as the story feature of 500px.

Compared to flickr, I find the quality of the posted picture to be higher. With flickr I often have the feeling that people post anythink which happens to cross there camera. Ranging from last day's dinner pictures to 20 burst shots of the cat looking at the camera. :)

Of course, there are very stunning photos on flickr as well. In my opinion, however, people tend to upload only their best ones on 500px instead of the whole set of similiar pictures.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have a smugmug for my portfolio but it is still a work in progress and I have not done as much work to it as I need to.

Otherwise I put most of my stuff on Flickr because I have a lot of friends on there and I enjoy sharing the pics I take with everyone. About Flickr, yes you will find many people using it for many things. But it is up to you to add the photographers who's works you enjoy seeing. If you don't want to see 50 pics of someone's birthday dinner, don't add that person. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Yeah, that's what I've found too about Flickr. Some people are using it to share vacation photos with friends, or things like birthday parties. Others have the app on their phone and just put random stuff up because they can. But there are a lot of people who are trying to seriously put up quality work. They may not have the best skill yet, but they are trying. And you get some people who do amazing stuff. The trick is to find the right groups and follow the right people.

500px is good too, I think the quality is better because you have to pay to get unlimited uploads. If people are limited 10 free uploads (or whatever it is now), they will put up their best stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    I use wordpress for my "professional" photo portfolio. Rarely does anyone comment on anything, it's just something nice and free that I can put on my business cards. Usually people I give my cards to will email me and say something. I went with a more website like setup rather than the full blog. It looks decently professional and simple for me. I like flickr as well but I never get comments there, I mostly use it for a weekly critique my friends and I started.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I use Photobucket.
    • Like Like x 1