Best way to delete AVCHD files?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by sprinke, Apr 19, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I've been struggling with managing the AVCHD files from my GH2.

Is it recommended to only delete the MTS files using the camera's delete function? Since it appears that the camera keeps all kinds of other info on the card (clip info, etc.), it would seem to me unwise to just delete the MTS files themselves.

Also, I have found that deleting all of the MTS files at the same time results in the camera resetting the file numbering system to 00000.MTS. Is there a way to avoid doing this, other than leaving the last file on the camera? And if I reformat the card, I would lose that anyway ... grrrr.
  2. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    To avoid media problems in the future (very near future with "bargain" brand cards) it is highly recommended you reformat the media card IN THE CAMERA IT WILL BE USED IN before each new project.

Those who delete individual files in the camera often experience media slowdown, corrupted files, and sometimes even a corrupted card.

If the reason you don't want to allow the camera to "reset" file numbers is to prevent files being over written when new ones with the same filename are copied over from the media card, consider doing this: Copy your media files to a temporary folder on your internal drive, then mass rename them to something that helps you remember the event. Then copy to the folder you will be storing them in. When you're sure you have them "safe" (verify the copy was good) delete from the temp folder and return the card to the camera for reformatting.

I copy my files over to a pair of 2TB external drives for redundancy, verify both are good, then reformat the card in camera immediately.
  3. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    I copy the entire sd card to its own folder on my internal drive, then backup, then reformat the card. Presumably I should be able to copy the folder back to a clean sd card later, and put it back in the camera for playback. I don't know what all the other non .mts files do, and they take up very little space, so I keep them in case I can use them someday. I don't take any care to stop the camera from restarting the numbering, since those filenames aren't useful to me anyways.
  4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I only copy the MTS files, the rest are for the Blueray directory structure.

By using 16 or 32gb cards, I can record a lot before I need to reformat and my clips are rarely longer than a couple of minutes.
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    It would be helpful to know your platform and workflow.

For basic video capture uses for Mac users, iMovie can "archive" all your AVCHD that you can retrieve later, then you can delete and restart the card easily. Archiving is different than actually loading the files into iMovie.

I would think there's something similar on PCs?

Also, I believe Lightroom now handles AVCHD? I think iPhoto and Aperture do, as well, on a Mac. I just use iMovie, but you might be more serious in your video use and editing than I am, in which case just ignore :biggrin: