1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best way to clean the sensor on a GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rnagoda, Aug 1, 2012.

1. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I've got a "spot" on my images ... lesson 1 is not to loan your camera out. I'm hoping lesson 2 is how to clean my GH2's sensor.

Hints, tip, links, etc., are appreciated.

I have a 5D MkIII to hold me over, but I miss using my GH2!

2. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Thanks a lot for the advice - I'll give it a shot tonight. If not, I've located a shop with a good reputation that I can take it to.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Probably a dumb question, but have you tried the sensor cleaning option in the menu also? I would use a rocket blower, holding the camera with sensor facing down, and also try the sensor clean.

4. michaeln

michaeln Guest

BTW, an air blower in this context is NOT any kind of canned pressurized gas. Those cans can spit liquid on your sensor, then you have even bigger problems. The classic tool for this is a Giottos Rocket Blower. Hold the camera with the lens mount facing down and give it several good puffs of air with the Rocket Blower. If you dislodge the dust and are lucky enough that it falls out, be sure to blow off the base of the lens and wipe off the lens mount on the camera before putting it back on.

5. If more thorough cleaning is required, Copperhill (wet) and Lenspen SensorKlean (dry) are both options to consider.

6. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yeah - I wasn't able to get the spot removed ... I'll get it cleaned by a pro this time since I want to do some filming with it this weekend, and I'll look into the other options for next time.

Thanks for handling a noob question!

7. uray

uray New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2012
    Czech republic
    sensor cleaning

I think that is the best "Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1"

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Image Sensor is covered.

One point that many may not realize. When looking at the sensor, the surface you would be cleaning is actually an IR filter that is part of the cleaning system. It's slightly bluish-green in color. The outer edge of the filter has a coil that effectively makes it a transducer for ~ 50 khz. On the micro four third cameras the image sensor is encased behind this filter, so getting any dirt on it is very difficult. This makes manual cleaning much easier.

Here's a shot of what it looks like with the IR / dust filter shielding the image sensor's face. You can see the flex cable at the 7 o'clock position that connects the filter / transducer to the auto cleaning system.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/7705742050/" title="Image Sensor by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 7705742050_05ece2cfbf_z.jpg "628" height="628" alt="Image Sensor"></a>