Best videos...that showcase in-body stabilization?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by spacedogg79, Nov 9, 2013.

1. spacedogg79

spacedogg79 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 9, 2013
    Vancouver, Canada
    Can someone point me to any other videos that showcase the in-body stabilization of the Olympus P5, E-M5, or EM1? I have been drooling over the footage shot by Andrew Reid at on the E-M5 back when it was first released. With all the poor reviews that say how the Olympus cameras have video modes which are mainly an afterthought (no 24p or 25p etc)...wondering if anyone can show me other videos that really showcase handheld shot scenes with Olympus cameras? The footage shot below looks fantastic.He apparently shot most of it hand held in the back of a bouncy tram going at 45mph.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Check out Blunty's reviews of those cameras on Youtube - he was fairly impressed with the video IBIS and had clips showing it in action.
  3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Blunty has some stabilization comparison footage:
    Here's a macro mode video I shot with my E-M5 and it's 12-50mm kit lens:
    In general, a hobbyist can shoot better looking hand held video with the he Olympus EP5, E-M5, or E-M1 than with any Panasonic m4/3 camera because the 5-axis stabilization is so effective. It's only the pro-videographers who dislike the Olympus cameras because they have no 60 frames per second shooting options (hence cannot shoot slow motion), or 24 fps and no high bitrate recording options. So in plain english, video geeks and camera reviewers dislike the Olympus cameras for video, but they cannot find much fault with the actual video quality itself aside from some moire when panning fast and poor continuous focus tracking - both problems that apparently have been largely rectified with the E-M1.
  4. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
  5. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    One thing that EM5's video bother me is focus hunting, even I got good focus in C-AF, it just keep hunting, the only way to stop this, using the L function bottom push and hold and release if target is moving.
  6. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I agree with most of what you say, however the main dissatisfaction with the em5 video is how the picture breaks down and gets very blocky when there is too much movement in the frame. A good example of this is recording something with moving leaves in the background. The smooth looking image gets all blocky. From my understanding the low bitrate and the poor codec that compresses the full sensor image to 1080p or whatever is to blame.

For images where not too much is going on, portraits and such, the em5 output is lovely.

There is a Facebook omd video group and the admin does some excellent cinematic wedding videos using the em5.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  7. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    In my experience the best way is to use s-af to start the shot (I have programmed to my record button when left dial is in movie mode) but keep overall focus set in manual mode and use that afterwards when rolling. The smooth focus on the 25/1.4 helps this as well as a lot of practice. I still need a lot more myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
    • Like Like x 1