1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best video settings, focus settings and lens for OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by majordude, Oct 31, 2013.

1. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    I have a few lenses but have mostly used the OM-D for photos. But now I am interested in video.

I have tested a few settings and really can't see the difference between movie, A or P. :p

But I have noticed the OM-D sometimes gets lost when focusing (maybe with just some lenses?) so I have to half-push the shutter to get it to focus.

I have read that the Pan 25mm is really good. But it's pricy and no zoom (obviously).

I think the biggest issues I have are the focus and lens.

2. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I grab focus with AF (half press shutter) before starting rolling or at the very beginning of rolling, then any focus changes I do from there are all with manual focus. I seem to recall a menu setting so it doesn't try to continuously refocus while rolling.

Works great with my two workhorse lenses, the 17/1.8 and 45/1.8.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have said it a hundred times but for really good video you can't let AF do it. Even $10K+ pro video camcorders can hunt at times and they have AF systems designed for video.

Professionals focus manually! To the extent that they use special focusing setups called a "follow-focus" and even assign the job to a single person, a "focus puller".

You should be able to have more control in movie mode but I am not sure with the E-M5. A zoom is the best way to go with video for general use or when just starting out. However avoid zooming while shooting as it looks amateurish and it will really through the focus for a loop. If you must zoom do it either super fast or better yet very slowly.