Best variable nd filter for Oly 12-40?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ig7, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    l an looking for a Variable nd filter for Oly 12-40. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance

2. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Read a review in an UK magazine recently and they recommended the Hoya Pro. variable one. Do not remember any other details.
    They indicated nearly as good as the Hoya fixed density ones that were supposidly very good as well.

3. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    I have the Tifden and I love it. Bought a few step down rings so I could use it on my other lenses. I'm not at home but I believe is is up to eight stops in strength, but don't hold me to this. If you Google or Amazon search, you won't find many options that are variable and this strong. I love it for use with manual flash outside.

4. WGPhotography

WGPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2016
    Wayne
    I've always found weird patterns occurring with these in the past. Is this no longer the case?

5. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    I think all variable ND's have the cross pattern at the extreme ends of adjustment.
    I bought a Neewer variable ND, and I don't rate it that highly. I would say it is ok, but one issue is the density scale on the side is completely off.
    I'm happy with other Hoya filters I've used in the past, and would probably give that a try if I wanted another variable ND.

6. supergimp

supergimp New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2016
    Steve Thompson
    Variable ND filters are essentially paired polarizes and will deliver interference patters when your angle of view encompasses a wide spectrum of glare angle. Thus it occurs at wide angles and is sort of the nature of the beast. On a wide/mid zoom it will be worst at the wide end. I'm transitioning my travel kit from an extensive Nikon (D800E) kit with the full complement of lenses and have always reverted to stacked ND's (I use 100mm filters in a holder) at wide angles and leave the vari-ND for telephoto applications.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thanks for the link. Very interesting