Best value kit lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by atmo, Nov 3, 2013.

1. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    When I got my PEN Mini, it was body only. Since then, I've bought several lenses including my sole native lens, the P20. I'm kind of missing a wider FOV in some of my shots and was considering one of the kit lenses since they all start at 12 < or 14 > mm which is nice and wide.

Is there a consensus as to which is the best one to get second-hand? I have tried out the 12-50 from the EM5 and was very impressed by the AF speed compared to my P20, but it's also really big..
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The only m4/3 "kit" lens that starts at 12mm is the 12-50. The others all start at 14.
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Best value is probably the Olympus 14-42mk2. Can be had for $75 or so secondhand. The only wider kit lens aside from the 12-50 is the new Panasonic 12-32mm which isn't widely available and costs quite a bit more.
  4. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Cheers for the replies. Perhaps I will get an un-kitted 14/2.5, they seem to be fairly cheap on ebay also. I believe the P14 has some of the fastest AF around - does that include Olympus bodies?
  5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Since you already have a pancake lens, on an Olympus body the best value is probably the 12-50. True it will cost you twice as much as a 14-42 mk2, but you get a wider field of view and more reach at the same time. Plus it can do quasi-macro 1:2 magnification without the need for any tubes or add-ons.

I'm not sure how well it balances on a mini body though, since it was the kit lens for the E-M5.
  6. Spanjaart

Spanjaart Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    If you want a compact lens and only need the wide bit, you should go for the P14.
  7. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I have both the 14-42 II R and the 12-50. I like the 12-50 much more because of how easy it is to switch to macro mode and I also love the power zoom feature for video. The macro mode also works great for shooting videos ultra close.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I concur. I just got the 12-50 used and I really like it more than the 14-42ii that came w/ the OMD kit. Not even so much for the extra width or reach, but it just seems the IQ might be slightly better, it's weatherproof, has the power zoom for video and the macro mode, plus the extra FN button. I've heard so much good/bad about the 12-50 over the past year, but I just had to try it for myself finally and glad I did.

The 14-42ii is ok for walkabout use and probably about on par IQ wise. The only thing it has going for it is the smaller size to me. It is a bargain though under $100.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    I have the 14-42mm which is better than I expected, but I really miss having wide capability. I like the fact that the 12-50 is a little wider and waterproof. Have a vacation trip in Wyoming coming up in July and would like to keep it as simple as possible.
  10. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    leave the dead buried.