1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best thing about my new E-P5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rfortson, Mar 26, 2014.

1. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Best thing about the E-P5 I bought is that I've yet to lose the eyepiece (and no, I didn't buy the VF-4). :)

I'm on my third eye piece on my E-M5. That's my only complaint, though.

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Funny, because my only reason for not getting the EP5 was that it did not have a built in viewfinder. Weird.

• Like Like x 3
  3. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

:) Yeah, I know that was a deal-killer for a lot of people. I personally don't mind, though I guess it would be nice to have something like the GX7 where there's a little flip up viewfinder built in. I have the E-M5 also and I do like a viewfinder for using longer lenses, so that's my telephoto camera. Nice to have all these choices.

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    EVF doesn't really take any extra space (GX7, Nex-6) so why not just put it in there for occasional use? Attachable evf is big no.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Reesebass

Reesebass Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Best thing with my newish E-P5 would be to find out that the camera has cured from the shuttershock issues when i will test it tomorrow.

And btw: i really like the idea of a detachable viewfinder.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I just shoot way better with a viewfinder. I had the EP5 and the EM5 next to each other and really the EVF on the EM5 clinched it for me.

7. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Because once you use a VF-4, those EVFs look like an EVF for ants.

• Like Like x 1
  8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Owned VF-2 for 3 years and didn't use it at all, but then I got VF4 last Christmas season and I found it really nice in IQ and easy for eyes. With EP5 it's even nicer with auto on/off. The only match for vf is EM1 and for now it's a little more than I want to pay for and lug around.

9. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Same here. I really don't know what all the hoopla is about an integrated EVF.

10. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    I've had my E-P5 for a few months now and I"m yet to use the EVF on it. I'm so used to shooting down low.

11. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I got the kit with the VF-4 and haven't used it yet. It's because the LCD with flip touch screen is more versatile. You can angle and extend it without having the camera to your face in awkward positions. I keep the VF-4 around for sunny days or when i want to be a "real" photographer...

12. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I think the VF-4, if you put it on your eye, may help reduce shutter shock. Need to do more tests but a pattern I've noticed is that roughly out of 20 photos when shooting with a prime, I get 2 or so that have shutter shock. When using the VF-4 pressed against my eye, I have not noticed any shutter shock photos.

This might be because the extra pressure dampens the shutter resonation. Need to do more tests.