Best sub-$500 35mm fast prime?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MarkRyan, Feb 19, 2014.

1. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I picked up a Fujian 35mm f/1.7 as my first adapted lens. And I've totally fallen for it. The focal length, at 70mm equivalent, resonates with me better than any other prime in my bag.

The Fujian is a great lens for the money, but it's got clear limitations. It's not super sharp, I can't tell what aperture I'm at if not wide open, etc.

But it makes me want to get a "nice" fast 35mm prime to adapt to my Pen. Ideally f/2 or faster, compactness a plus, and some "character" appreciated. Under $500, what are the best options?

2. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Best is IMHO contax Zeiss 50mm 1.4 and eos to m4/3 focal reducer. Then you will have a 37mm f1.0... The lens is 300$ and and booster 100$.

You could save some money by switching the Zeiss for a Pentax m 50mm 1.4 for less than 150$ and have almost same thing IQ wise

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You could get a Samyang 35mm 1.4 MF lens for fairly cheap. Thought it won't be very small.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Also, the contax Zeiss 50/1.4 is awesome 'just' on its own.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

6. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Um ... although a speedbooster/focal reducer has a x0.7 effect, you have to remember that the m4/3 size means that the focal length is x2 before that, so an old 50mm lens becomes an 85 rather than a 35.

I have a chunky old MIR-24m which is 35/2 (approx. 60mm POV) - it was about $175 dollars from Murmansk -and I like very much. A picture I posted on the flowers image thread:

P1070858.

7. TheRenaissanceMan

TheRenaissanceMan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    My Canon FD 35mm f/2 (concave front element) is one of my all-time favorite lenses. Plenty sharp, but it's the color and contrast that always blow me away. It just has a special way of rendering, the way the PL25 does. A sprinkle of fairie dust.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm with you, mate. Right now, I'm totally infatuated with the idea of getting a sweet 35mm lens for my EM-5.

Natively, you actually have a couple options, but only one that fits your budget: the SLR Magic 35mm f1.4. (The f0.95 and the similar Mitakon 35mm f0.95 are predictably expensive)

The reviews show the SLR Magic to be very good. I really don't think it would disappoint in any way in terms of image quality. Annoyingly, the list price is $200-250 more than the Fuji X and Sony E mount versions. And it's not compact by micro 4/3 standards, but adapted, fast, full frame 35mm glass isn't, either.

That leads me to my ultimate recommendation: I think you should get an Olympus Pen F 38mm f1.8. Seems to me it would suit your ethos as a photographer (from what I've seen from you on Google+ and here), and it's compact, and it's not terribly expensive. Seems like a perfect fit. I'll be interested to hear what you think of this recommendation.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Actually, no. Because the OP is asking about a lens to supplement his Fujian 35/1.7 which is an actual 35mm lens, that he's using on his MFT camera already, so 70mm 'FF equivalent'. It's a weird focal length to me, but if it works for the OP, more power to him. Ergo if he speedboosts, he's got a wider variety of legacy 50mm glass to adapt.

10. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Wow, that might be the lens. Just searched around for some images and it looks like it's got character, speed, it's small, and looks great on a Pen camera. Awesome recommendation.

I agree, it's a weird focal length, I'm just shocked how the Fujian perfectly matches the framing I have in mind when I lift the camera.

This photo in particular is what put it over for me. Saw this great looking car in the parking garage with perfect lighting, and I figure I'd have to shift around to get the right shot without other cars, or other distractions. I lifted the camera and incredibly it was framed just as I wanted, just as I saw the potential picture in my head.

12223802115_6744274d34_b.

11. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Then you have taken the first step into a wider world, grasshopper. Previsualization is a wonderful thing when you click with a focal length.

I have heard great things about the Minolta 35 1.8, but they are towrds the top of your budget.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I love my Asahi 35mm f/2...butter smooth focusing...I paid $95 for it...shipped :)

EM190034-20131229-XL.

EM170026-20131227-XL.

• Like Like x 2
  13. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm going to stay tuned. Can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

I'd be buying one, too, if I could remotely justify it.

14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    • Like Like x 2
  15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am tempted to get a PEN F 38mm myself. They seem plentiful and are selling for about $180 on ebay. They fit onto m4/3 very well and the PEN F system was the inspiration for the current PEN series.

Some other lenses in the PEN F system are very hard to find and very expensive. I would love to have the 70mm f2! It would very close to my old 135mm f2 from film days. The cheapest one on ebay is over $400.

16. wei

wei Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 24, 2013
    Nikon Nikkor 55mm f2.8 micro. Love mine, not very fast, but the macro feature makes up for it. A lot of room to play with while focusing, it's like having a fine tune. Very sharp, and you can get one for only $150.

17. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    There is also the 40mm 1.8 Konica. Cheap, small, fast.

Not 35mm, but neither is the pen 38mm...

Sent from my XT885 using Tapatalk

18. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    37mm f1.0, is this fast enough?

_1050534.

_1050619.

the lens costs me 30€, and the focal reducer 80€. As you can see, it's totally rubbish ^^

• Like Like x 1
  19. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    FYI, the lens is on its way :) Found what looks like a great example on eBay and ordered it yesterday. Thanks again for the recommendation.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I have two copies of that lens and I must say I do love it. It's a nice focal length.

Yes they are quite expensive. I often wonder why Olympus or someone with license, doesn't reproduce those lenses in the exact same formula, possibly using composite materials for the barrel to make it lighter. That would be fantastic, and I am sure would sell well.

Yes it is a nice lens. I use it quite often. It is always in my camera bag. True, it was quite expensive but if the total to get it had cost more than $150 I would not have even attempted to acquire it; the 35mm 2.8 is about as sharp and Much cheaper, but I had a comfortable income at the time. The lens is soft as expected at 1.8 so I shoot with it stooped down one at-least one stop, but focus with it wide open. Using the 2.8 version might be a little slower to acquire focus but a great value at a great price.

Wow where did you find a 100 dollar speedboooster for the µ4/3 mount?