1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best strap material for sweat

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by a_hit_of_meth, Sep 23, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I'm just wondering if anyone can give me ideas for an outdoorsy type strap.

I've been hiking a lot lately to help rehabilitate my recovering peroneal tendonitis, which I'm really enjoying and plan to do more of and take my camera with me. I have two straps I've been using since 2011 when I bought my first m4/3 camera. One is a Gordy's leather hand strap and the other is a leather neck strap with really soft leather on one side and suede on the other, not suitable at all for a sweaty hiking trip around my shoulder.

I'm thinking a basic nylon strap would handle the sweat well and dry up easily but I'm also looking at this foam padded strap which I can use to wrap around the camera to put in a small bag to eliminate the use for a pouch and minimize the bulk. One other consideration are those stretchy type straps I've seen on some DSLR's but I'm not sure how they'll work on a smaller, lighter m4/3 body.

Another question, I've only ever had black or white m4/3 bodies so I've never had a problem matching my black leather straps to them. My new E-m10 is silver, not sure what the best color combination is especially with a nylon strap with several options like brown, olive even one denim finish that I sort of liked. Input on that would be nice too:)

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Peak design capture clip or B-Grip Evo?

3. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    As an alternative option, are you using a backpack? OpTech do some small straps with quick release connectors that allow you to attach the camera to your shoulder straps. See here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Normally I carry a small duffel around town with camera bags inside to fit my camera and additional lenses. Taking them out and putting them back in is really easy from the side. I don't usually wear the camera around my shoulders, instead I wrap the strap around my wrist and forearm and just carry it that way.

For hiking, I'll either just hand carry a water bottle and have the camera on my shoulder for shorter hikes, and use a backpack for longer ones with the camera strapped to my shoulder.

I don't like the holster ones or the attachable ones for lighters bodies and I don't want the camera dangling off my hip or from the bag straps either. I prefer strapping it on my shoulders so I can have it hanging by my side where I can keep a hand on it to keep some tension on the strap to keep it moving about, same way I hold larger dslr bodies.

5. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Neoprene straps will probably stand up to sweat better than most and are non-slip to boot. Up Strap is probably the standard for that but there are many others. The Up Strap small, which seems best for m4/3 is about $20.00. I have an advertising knock-off of the slightly larger one (labeled SmugMug Pro if it matters) that I like very much. That sucker will not slip off my shoulder in any but the worst conditions.

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Can you clear this up : why not suitable?

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I've been using Artisan & Artist Silk Cord straps for a year and a half now and absolutely love it. The silk material is soft against the skin in even the hottest and humid weather. It's durable and soft, yet very flexible so that it can be wrapped around your wrist when needed or just around your neck as a normal neck strap. For smaller cameras, I wouldn't use anything else now.

8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I have this one (paid less then half that price):

http://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Acce...2&keywords=Matin+Neoprene+Fast-Access+Strap+2

No problem with sweat, there is an under-arm strap to keep it in place, and a quick-lock on the strap to keep the camera in the bottom position. It works and it does not use the tripod screw (a plus for me). It's just feels a little oversized for a m43 camera with a small lens.

9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I recommend looking at OpTech, ala gcogger. http://optechusa.com/ or http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n...ch+usa&ie=UTF8&qid=1443034374&rnid=2941120011

They make a huge variety of straps, harnesses, and clips, and they're all modular and interchangeable. They're also inexpensive and reliable, in my experience. I mix and match their stuff to make what I need. They're mostly nylon or neoprene, so resist sweat very well. I guess you can even wash them (by hand). The great part about their neoprene pads is that they're stretchy, so as you walk, you don't feel the weight tugging on your shoulder. Makes it feel lighter. Very comfortable. They also make camera covers and lens pouches that are also very good. One way to carry your camera may be on their Utility Sling Strap. I bought one to use with a heavier DSLR, and use it with a smaller neoprene pad with my Olympus. You can even clip some lens pouches to the strap so you can carry an extra lens. They are definitely worth considering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Exactly what I do and posted about it here

11. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I like the op tech ones or similar styles since I don't know if we have that brand locally, I'm sure there are other brands or knockoffs with the same styles. Washability is definitely something I require so maybe noeprene will hold up better than a foam lined denim strap when it comes to that.

Absorption of sweat and any odors that may produce with the leather as well as difficulty in cleaning it.

That's my general impression of them, especially with a small Em10 and prime would seem a bit much of a strap. As long as it gets the job done, I guess it's worth considering.

12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The PeakDesign Slide is nylon seat-belt style material.
    They have a new mirrorless model which is narrower and lighter.

I also have a neoprene sling (Optech or Joby, can't remember).
    It should be fine as well but I like the Slide's flexibility more.

Barry

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I asked because suede and leather are excellent working materials where sweat is concerned, from a suitability-for-the-job and comfort point of view.
    I see you mean from a staying-new-looking point of view,
    where you are totally correct.

14. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I went out and had a look. One of the stores I checked had Op Tech ones for m4/3 but I didn't get a chance to have a close up look to see exactly which one it was. The label on the package said Op Tech and there was another brand name printed on the bottom, so I don't know if it was real or not. There were lots of other generic and non branded similar ones as I had suspected, I don't really fancy the stretchy neoprene material though. I forgot to mention the Domke Gripper has a 1'' version I'm considering. I'm also looking at the printed ones now, they look kind of nice.

What do you guys think of the cork pattern on paired with a silver E-M10?

P9240176_zpsqbfo6o1k.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I think the cork would look fine with your E-M10. To me that's one of the nice things about Silver/metal finish on cameras is that they can match any color or pattern. I've been using a brown half case on my silver E-P5 and it matches perfectly but for some reason my all black camera only looks good with black?
    Bobby
    PS I like the op/tech strap, it's so customizable.

16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  17. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I might get both the pattern one and the Op Tech. Just buying the printed designs would accomplish the opposite of what I set out to do yesterday, which was to find the best strap, in terms of material to use on a hike.

I also forgot about the factory strap, I can't remember the last time I bought a camera where I used the included strap. I should probably try that first to see how it holds up.

I've always thought the opposite, having matched black with black, grey, green and red in the past. For silver I usually use black, or black and yellow (nikon) since most silver bodies go with black lenses and adding a third color for a strap makes it all a bit distracting. I do also think the cork would look nice though :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  18. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

For hiking, this will not matter at all but for me a strap should be unassuming. I travel a lot, sometimes to some out-of-the-way places. The last thing I want is a strap or any other branded goods that scream "Steal Me." When traveling in some areas of Europe, I used to use a bit of tape to cover the "Canon" label on my SLR. The branded straps never come out of the box when I get a new camera. For the same reason, I don't use high-end luggage or clothing when traveling internationally. IMHO, it is better to blend in with the mass of tourists than stand out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Hahah, I hadn't realized what I was getting into when I looked up "silk cord" on the internet. But on the plus side, I guess, its popularity as a bondage material means that the price is quite reasonable if you wanted to make DIY straps out of the stuff. There's a lot of faux-silk cotton stuff at the real cheap prices, but I think you can get the real stuff for $40 per 200/feet. Which makes a lot of camera straps, I guess...

• Funny Funny x 1