Best still shooters - any system

Conqueror

Mu-43 Regular
What would you consider to be the best still shooters?

any system between the price range:

$1000-2000 USD
£1000-2000 GBP

(Forget video functionality)

And why?

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
A used M6 with a 35mm of some kind. It could be had for under 2 grand.
Why ...... because most shooters like a meter in the camera...
for me personally, an M4 cause I don't like a meter.

Conqueror

Mu-43 Regular
What about current digital cameras in this price range?

Things like the Sony A850? How does this rate.

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
For me that would be the Panasonic GH2 with some lenses, starting with the 14-45mm and adding the 45-200mm and 20mm until money runs out. The 7-14mm will be above the budget constraints you imposed. :eek:

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A used M6 with a 35mm of some kind. It could be had for under 2 grand.
Why ...... because most shooters like a meter in the camera...
for me personally, an M4 cause I don't like a meter.

Hi Don, maybe better to wait for the Fuji X100 ?

Or going FF.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The A850 seems barely in that price range though, right? Only a discounted street price skirts the upper end.

I'm biased toward smaller cameras, but that's probably why I'm here.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
What about current digital cameras in this price range?

Things like the Sony A850? How does this rate.

Why the Sony A850? I think we'd need to know a little about your style of photography, subjects and locations before recommending one DSLR over another. :smile:

ajramirez

Mu-43 Veteran
Antonio,
I thought you would like the G2.... Hmmmm.

Well, i´ll let you know in a couple of weeks...:smile:

My recommendation of the T2i was based solely on image quality. As much as I like m4/3, my experience has been that my 50D and T1i have my Oly E-P1 beat (although not by much) in image quality, particularly high ISO noise and resolution.

However, the discussion does not end there.

First, there is the impact on people when you pull out a 50D and L zoom, versus an E-P1 with the 20mm Lumix.

Second, there´s the weight factor.

At this point, I keep two packed camera bags. The first one, a Tenba Messenger Large, holds a Canon 50D, 10-22 EF-S, 17-40L, 70-200L, 60 EF-S, 580EXII, ST-E2, and weighs about 15 pounds. The second, a Domke F5xb, holds an Oly E-P1, 9-18 M.Zuiko, 20mm Lumix and 45mm Lumix.

Guess which one sees more action?

I am more than happy to give up some image quality for the convenience and stealth factor of m4/3. However, going back to the OP´s question, if image quality is the only consideration, for the stated price range I stand by my original recommendation.

Cheers,

Antonio

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What would you consider to be the best still shooters?

any system between the price range:

$1000-2000 USD
£1000-2000 GBP

(Forget video functionality)

And why?

Best at what type of still shooting?

Digital (non-moving objects): I'd say a tie between the 5D2 and the D700, although they're both just a tad over your price target. Can probably get them used right around $2000 body only. It's possible the Sigma SD1 will be a contender once it comes out, but we'll have to see.

Digital (moving action): I would think perhaps the D7000 or the 60D; both fit the price range.

Digital (compact): IQ-wise I'd have to go with something like the DP series, although it seems they're a bit difficult in behaving. The X100 should be a contender, but it remains to be seen once it comes out. I think the GF and/or the E-PENs with the 20/1.7 are up there as well; they should all fit the price range.

Film (studio/non-moving): Probably something like an RB/RZ67, and/or a Hasselblad V. I put the RB/RZ67 slightly ahead simply because of the larger film format. 6x7 landscapes in Velvia are quite nice (depending on photographer skill, of course). Both fit in the price range used.

Film (street): The Mamyia 6, Mamyia C330 are both very nice for street shooting, and are medium format. For 35mm probably a nice M3 or a Contax G2, although you can make do with any of the high-quality SLRs as well. It comes down to the film and lenses really.

Latest threads

Top Bottom