Best SOOC JPG which Oly do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jorge Ledesma, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Ok guys/gals,

I once had the Oly EPL2 a few months and I'm now perusing different bodies but I wanted to get a more seasoned opinion. Is is just my eyes or are the EPL1's SOOC jpegs incredibly sharp and colorful. Is this representative of all Olympus bodies including the EP1,2,3 etc.

Cheers,
    JL

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It's a function of lens, individuals' jpeg settings, and the 12 inches behind the camera (i.e. YOU). The PENs all take functionally identical photographs; the E-PL1 doesn't have anything that your E-PL2 doesn't. Play with your camera settings and take some photo courses if your results are not meeting your expectations, because it's not your equipment that's holding you back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Not quite totally true...

The latest PENs meter slightly differently in my opinion (they get it right more often). This of course affects image quality.

Also, I think the different PEN generations may also have slightly different AA filters (anti-aliasing). But don't quote me on that. :biggrin:

However at the end of the day, all of the pens are very very close in image quality and shnitz is right in that the much bigger factors are the lenses and the photographer.

If you're shopping for different bodies, it's more about looks, usability, and focus speed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    On most of the camera review websites the E-PL1's jpegs straight out of the camera with the 14-42mm kit lens resolve more detail than the other PENS (and even some big name DSLR's) by a slight but sometimes noticable margin. I'll never forget when I looked at the first landscape jpeg I took with my E-PL1. I said to myself: "this blows away my $900.00 Canon Rebel T3i" in regards to both image detail and richness of the colors.

The E-PL1 apparently has a very weak AA filter, higher default sharpening and saturation and lower default noise reduction. Whether or not the latest Pens can match the E-PL1 when the noise filter is set to OFF has not apparently not been formerly tested and reported by any of the pixel peepers on this forum.

There is also a bit of controvery as to whether the latest PENs (E-PM1, E-PL3 and E-P3) are truly identical in image quality. One review website (Digital Camera Reviews, Ratings of Digital Cameras & Comparisons of Popular DSLR Cameras - DigitalCamerainfo.com) thought the E-P3's jpegs were slightly superior to the E-PM1. But this might be due to periferal factors such as the E-P3 having a more effective image stabilization mechanism

• Like Like x 2
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    And that, right there, probably explains the differences. Sharpening is such a critical part of digital photography that differences in in-camera defaults can over shadow far more important aspects of the image making process. I suspect if you knew how to adjust the settings in your Rebel properly you'd be amazed at just how good it can be, too.

And any test site that compares OOC jpegs without level setting different cameras isn't one I'd rely on unless I didn't understand enough about photography to adjust my camera's settings.

One review website (Digital Camera Reviews, Ratings of Digital Cameras & Comparisons of Popular DSLR Cameras - DigitalCamerainfo.com) thought the E-P3's jpegs were slightly superior to the E-PM1. But this might be due to periferal factors such as the E-P3 having a more effective image stabilization mechanism[/QUOTE]

And ANY site that does IQ tests with the camera hand-held is a joke, and a bad one. And if they do IQ tests with IBIS while using a tripod, they're even more clueless.

The internet if full of idiots doing camera test who don't have the basic knowledge I learned in 9th grade from just reading photo magazines.

• Like Like x 3
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    So does all the above mean that the E-PL1 has the best overall JPG image IQ of all the digital PENs? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    No, the only cameras with the crappy old-style AA filters are the E-P1 and E-P2. The E-PL2 image-wise is identical in image quality to the E-PL1, assuming you expose the images identically as starlabs mentions. The "Gen III" Olympuses (E-P3, E-PL3, E-PM1) take photos functionally identical to the E-PL2, barring any metering improvements. As meyerweb mentions, your postprocessing decisions (whether done in Lightroom/Photoshop or as jpeg settings) are what bring out the differences. If you were to remove the crappy AA filter of the E-P2 and replace it with that of the E-P3, I would put good money on them producing near-identical results. All this boils down to my original assessment: there's nothing wrong with the E-PL2, and if Jorge is not getting the sharpness/color results he is seeing with other PENs, it's the user, not the equipment. One big thing is everyone wants to be a natural light photographer, as if that is somehow a more pure form of photography. Be willing to turn on some lights, shoot at a more appealing time of day, or creatively use strobes to get some more light coming off of your subjects. I'd rather have my G2 and kit lens with proper light than a GH2 with Leica 25mm in the dark.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Have a look at this ..EPL1 with kit lens

Some pics with EPL1 with kit lens and definitely has edge in IQ

P9263722_1_1.

ISO 800 ,indoor and taken with kit lens by my 5 year old daughter
    PC043891.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Any PEN from the E-PL1 and newer will deliver excellent sharp images with full color and resolution.

However, any of the third generation PENs (E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1) will deliver uniquely accurate Auto White Balance, particularly in incandescent and mixed lighting. We are talking about JPGs here, so this is a very important factor. In many aspects my E-PL2 (which has the same imaging technology as the E-5) delivers some of the most beautiful images, but overall I feel safest with the E-PM1 due to the great AWB.

• Like Like x 2
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The differences aren't really that big.

The E-P1 and E-P2 were slightly less sharp, owing to a stronger AA filter, and slightly noisier, owing to less noise reduction.

The E-PL1 was sharper - it had the weakest AA filter and noise reduction. The E-PL2 is similar, but slightly more NR.

The E-PM1, E-PL3 and E-P3 are all slightly softer than the E-PL1, and have the most NR.

Overall though, it not a difference worth worrying over. A good lens will have far more of an impact than the minute differences in AA filter and processing of these bodies.

DH

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Oh wow, these are insanely sharp, very nice !!!

12. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks everyone for all your wonderful insights I really appreciate it — big time.

13. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Bhupinder2002: Those are awesome pics! Just to confirm: those are SOOC? No adjustments, no tweaking?

14. Bhupinder2002

I just did some small adjustments on saturation etc in Iphoto on my macbook thats all . I loved EPL1 and have ordered a body again .

15. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I thought this thread is about Best SOOC JPG?

:rofl:

16. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    In the greater scheme of things, I now prefer E-PM1 jpegs over the older E-PL1/2 jpegs. With a sharpening adjustment, the E-PM1 looks just as good especially with its better AWB and slightly cleaner high ISO processing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. solovln

solovln New to Mu-43

Jan 23, 2012
    What's your sharpening adjustment. Noise filter off and -1 or -2 on sharpening?

18. Bhupinder2002