Best software to batch resize large resolution negative scans help needed

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi all

I have spent the last few weeks digitising my 35mm negative collection, using my Plustek 8200i scanner.

The makers claim that this is a 7200dpi optical resolution scanner but most reports claim that the best it gives is 3600dpi, but you have to scan at 7200 to get that, if you scan at 3600 you get 2400. So its recommended to scan at 7200 and then resize to 3600.

So now I have a huge number of scans at 7200dpi which are about 400mb each that I need to batch process down to 3600dpi.

can anyone recommend some software that can do this.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for the reply and the link to your blog. Shame I didn't read it weeks ago.

Would you recomend just scanning at 2400dpi or scanning at 7200dpi and then re-sampling down. From what I read about this scanner it always produces results below the set level, do you know if that is correct or would scanning at 2400 give a result that is close to 2400.

Thanks

Paul

barry

Super Moderator
Hi,

1. ImageMagik is great for batch work (command-line), it has many features and options

2. XnView can do batch work as well

Both are free and cross-platform.

Barry

barry

Super Moderator
I would recommend scanning one of your better images at multiple resolutions, resize a couple of the scans, and compare them to each other.

Barry

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

Would you recomend just scanning at 2400dpi or scanning at 7200dpi and then re-sampling down.

I agree with Barrys suggestion, pick one or two, scan at different res and also try scale up from 2400 to see if you can actually tell the difference.

Most of the cheapo scanners just give more mush at higher settings in my experience. Even if they have the sensor for it they seldom have the optics to back that up. Generally its well enough to scan at 1200 or 2400 for web or screen viewing. You can get some professional scans done for the "oh gosh" ones

ImageMagik is really a powerful tool, I don't normally recommend it due to people not liking a CLI. If y are OK with it its about the most powerful thing out there

:)

dwig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I frequently use Photoshop for this type of work. Using PS does require that you first create an Action manually. Using the Action on a batch of files is easiest if you use Bridge to select the source files and to manage the batch run of the Action.

Latest threads

Top Bottom