Best software for iPad Pro?

flamingfish

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Emily
I recently acquired a 2nd generation iPad Pro 12.9, and although we‘re still getting acquainted, I think I’ll want to do at least some of my photo processing on it. What do you suggest for photo processing software at a “hobbyist” level? In other words, what’s reasonably accessible and does a decent job, even if it’s not pro level?

I’ve been using LR 6 (a/k/a “The Last Standalone“) on my Mac. I hate the idea of having to sign up for Adobe CC, unless it turns out to be the only workable option.

Thanks much.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have Affinity, Photoshop, Lightroom and Snapseed. Snapseed is my most used photo app.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
Im trying to find a way to drop adobe, but the dam functions of LR are just too good for me to leave, though LR classic and mobile dont play together all that well... hoping affinity comes out with a mobile friendly dam soon, though Skylum is working on luminar for ipad too

ipad apps wise:
Affinity Photo
Pixelmator Pro
- honorable mention to afterlight, Snapseed, and darkroom

LumaFusion is an incredible video editing app

and PLOTAVERSE is kinda fun to play with animating photos.

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I do my basic RAW processing in LR on the Mac –– the iPad application is a joke and makes me angry every time I accidentally open it. For my detailed processing, I use Affinity Photo on the iPad (and sometimes on the Mac).

I have PS as well through the Adobe subscription, but the PS app for iPad is laughable. It can't do anything, whereas Affinity Photo can do *everything*. Just yesterday, I spent an entire day following a very detailed editing tutorial that was made for PS on the computer, and except for Freehand Transformation/Warping I was able to do everything on my iPad in Affinity Photo. The result I got was exactly the same as the one I got in PS on the Mac.

You can process RAWs in Affinity Photo as well, but it's not as fast as LR on a computer. You could also give Pixelmator Photo a look – it's handy for quick RAW edits, even though I feel the quality you get from LR far outperforms Pixelmator Photo. If you want to be iPad-only, though, it's worth a look.

I’ve been using LR 6 (a/k/a “The Last Standalone“) on my Mac.

I did too, until I upgraded to Catalina (clean install) and LR6 no longer installs. Got a nice deal just before Black Friday on the Adobe Photography subscription to make it hurt a little less.

My workflow still is:

1. Basic editing in LR.
2. Whatever needs further editing is being exported as a TIFF and saved to Dropbox.
3. I load that TIFF in Affinity Photo on my iPad and edit it there, then save it back to Dropbox.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I was a committed Snapseed user until this last year when the increased functionality in LR Mobile won me over. For me, it’s weakest aspect is actually the DAM functionality that was the original target of the desktop version. But used in conjunction with LR Classic, I find it meets all of my needs while on the road. It supports a substantial portion of the processing capabilities of the desktop version.

flamingfish

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Emily
I did too, until I upgraded to Catalina (clean install) and LR6 no longer installs. Got a nice deal just before Black Friday on the Adobe Photography subscription to make it hurt a little less.

My workflow still is:

1. Basic editing in LR.
2. Whatever needs further editing is being exported as a TIFF and saved to Dropbox.
3. I load that TIFF in Affinity Photo on my iPad and edit it there, then save it back to Dropbox.

I just did the Catalina upgrade, too, so I’ve had to kiss LR 6 goodbye. I’ll take a look at the programs suggested here and hope I won’t have to go to Adobe CC. Thanks.

flamingfish

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Emily
I was a committed Snapseed user until this last year when the increased functionality in LR Mobile won me over. For me, it’s weakest aspect is actually the DAM functionality that was the original target of the desktop version. But used in conjunction with LR Classic, I find it meets all of my needs while on the road. It supports a substantial portion of the processing capabilities of the desktop version.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot (or at least acronym-impaired), what’s DAM functionality?

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
Digital Asset Management, it’s basically software that sorts all of your photos for management and recall. Lightroom does this by catalogs, collections, keywords, ratings, and metadata.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
I’ll start off by saying if you’re looking at the iPad as a potential replacement for a laptop, come back in a few years, maybe. If you’re looking at importing lots of images, editing a few and distributing even fewer, the iPad works.

You have to identify your criteria and weight them. If editing is high on your list, there are many excellent options. The discussion so far covers them. If you want any form of cataloging, assume Apple's Photo's app (whatever their idea of a photos app is this month) will as much a hindrance as an asset. If you plan to use your iPad as a more-or-less permanent repository of images, I’d suggest look no further than Lightroom. If you're interested in compiling web albums and sharing them, look no further than Lightroom.

I've been using an iPad for photography since the iPad I. I've lived through a lot of software that's long disappeared. I’ve struggled with Apple’s pretty much constant twists and turns regarding their approach to ”supporting” photography. Aside from the less than fond feelings I have for any Adobe product, I haven’t found anything that comes close to CC. You can get by just fine with the 20 gig plan. $10/month with Classic and a host of excellent and improving CC apps begrudgingly makes it a winner in my book.

Having said all that. I’m planning a month via SUV in the American west in 2020 and seriously considering loading Lightroom on my GF's MacBook Air. Importing, culling, editing, compiling and sharing albums even with mobile CC will not be fun on an iPad. It’s just not there yet.

Disclosure: I’m on the road at the moment. Yesterday my solution to a shared album was to simply hand my iPad to my grandkids. Lesson learned, never update software before leaving on a trip. About 30% of my images failed to load repeatedly via CC. This stuff doesn’t happen on my Mac.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom