Best settings and tricks for EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ilexk, Mar 4, 2014.

1. ilexk

ilexk New to Mu-43

Feb 8, 2014
    Hello;

I bought the OMD EM-1 and need to know what the best settings for best results.

My kit is the 12-40 F 2.8 Pro

In the near future I will purchase the 75-300 for wildlife.

For OMD EM-5 I have read lots of information on this and other forums.

Some interesting link?

Greetings.

2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I recommend turning off the custom setting "Keep Warm Colours" (colors)...

Set AF to S-AF+MF so you can grab the manual focus ring and override AF at any time if you wish - you don't have to snap the focus ring back in that mode to manually AF. Set IS to IS-1, not IS-Auto... I use Vivid mode and shoot RAW+JPEG. That way I can share photos over WIFI to my iPhone if I want to but still have the RAW file to work with on the computer.

That's about all I do.

I have the 75-300 - Once you get it, definitely take it out and practice focusing on birds and don't be surprised if it takes a while to get sharp shots with it. You may want to set the smaller focus point mode when using it - even with stabilization, it takes a bit of practice to get comfortable with it. It's a fantastic lens.

3. ilexk

ilexk New to Mu-43

Feb 8, 2014
    Thank you for your contribution!

I need to practice a lot more!

All tips are welcome.

We are thinking of going this summer to eastern Canada, to see the scenery and wildlife of the Rockies.

We would be two weeks.
    That itinerary from Vancouver you recommend me?

Greetings.

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The Panasonic 100-300 may be a better choice for wildlife. It is a faster lens (F4-5.6) with wider range. It comes in higher on the DXO lens tests.

5. ilexk

ilexk New to Mu-43

Feb 8, 2014
  6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
  7. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    My EM-1 came with the OFF position.

8. ilexk

ilexk New to Mu-43

Feb 8, 2014
    There are very few comments regarding the best settings for the OMD Em-1.

However for Em-5 I have read much information on various forums and blogs.

How about you satisfation with the results obtained with the 12-40 F2.8?

Greetings.

9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Try the pdf file link in the first post of this thread https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=57117

10. ilexk

ilexk New to Mu-43

Feb 8, 2014
  11. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    Welcome to the club. You picked a great camera as your first m4/3!

As far as settings on the Camera are concerned I have most of them as they were set straight out of the box. I did turn off the Warm setting and I changed up a few of the function buttons for my preference. The biggest thing is just take lots of pictures and get used to it. I am still doing that as well. The more I use the camera the more I like it.

Itinerary,
    If you are looking to get to the Rockies fast I suggest you fly into Calgary, AB. You will be into Banff in a couple hrs. Take in Waterton Park as well in the SW corner of AB if you go this route.

If you are set on leaving from Vancouver stay on Hwy 3 all the way across the southern part of BC. You will see some great scenery and the road is just plain fun to drive. Once in Banff you can then head up the Icefields Hwy (make sure you stop at the at the Columbia Icefield and take a bus tour onto the Glacier) through Lake Louise to Jasper. From there you have a couple options to return to Vancouver. I can tell you right now that 2 weeks is only going to leave you wanting more time. I have been living and traveling in BC, AB and YT all of my 43yrs and I still have lots to see and do.

backside.

Here is a little inspiration for you! :thumb up: This is a self portrait my wife took a couple years ago on a hike along the Ice Fields Hwy. It is about an hour and half hike up to the view of the Saskatchewan Glacier you see in the background. You may have to do a double take to notice the glacier the first time. I know I did.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ilexk

ilexk New to Mu-43

Feb 8, 2014
    Hi Shawn;

The scenery is spectacular with the bottom gaciar!

I would like to combine landscapes with wildlife watching!

Greetings.