Best sensor in $1k range

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One if my em1s is on its last legs I believe. I had thought I would go to an Em1mk11 but I really don’t need it. I’m using this for portrait work so I want IBIS and best quality sensor performance.
I could easily get another em1 and that’s very appealing however I would appreciate some better performance in low light and dynamic range. I need weatherproofing so the PenF is out.
This really leads me to em1, em5ii, Gx8, g80 and that’s probably it.
I know they all have different features but for just portrait and family type work, would I see much of a difference in DR and noise?

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
I have an em1 as well, and if I were going to to replace it, I would get an em5mkii. The em1mkii is great but at 2k for the body, I am buying a lot that I don't need. For that price I would just get a Sony a7ii and a 50 1.8 and save some money too.

The em5mkii has everything you need and nothing you don't. It's fast, sharp and familiar. Until something comes along at a price I can afford, I will keep on trucking with my em1 and em10mkii

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I would appreciate some better performance in low light and dynamic range

How much were you expecting? Some of the new 20MP sensors show some marginal gains, but if you were expecting a lot, you may be disappointed.

--Ken

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
How much were you expecting? Some of the new 20MP sensors show some marginal gains, but if you were expecting a lot, you may be disappointed.

--Ken
I realize there are marginal improvements but improvements none the less which is the entire point of my question. Technology moves fast in the mirrorless world but it seems the sensor improvements are the exception with m43

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Like you, I shoot with an E-M1 (and a GX85), but not any of the others, so I would be pressed to make a recommendation. There will be trade-offs with all of them, so do factor that into your decision making process. I know that many find the GX8 sensor to render well, but shutter shock and lack of good IBIS would weight heavily if I was considering it. The Pen-F is the other sensor that I hear comments about, but as you indicated, it is not a weatherproof body.

Good luck,

--Ken

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
This really leads me to em1, em5ii, Gx8, g80 and that’s probably it.
I know they all have different features but for just portrait and family type work, would I see much of a difference in DR and noise?
Whether you would see the difference depends on how close to the edge you already skate with your exposures. From experience shooting the two bodies side-by-side, I second the recommendation of the E-M5.2. I task the E-M1 with telephoto lenses (= sometimes small subjects, smallish apertures, fast shutter speeds and frequent high iso) and the E-M5.2 with short/normal focal lengths and low light work. There is a difference between the two but you will only profit from it in marginal conditions, and then, not much more than marginally. The E-M5.2 is a little prettier at 100%, but, if I can fill either frame with interest they otherwise seem to be nearly interchangeable.

Hazza

Just Clicking
Real Name
Harry
I have an EM1 and an EM5mk2, I also have a G80 which, although a great camera, is not on par with the Olympus bodies for my use. The view finder is not as good and the rear screen is a joke when it comes to assessing your shots. It is so unsharp that it is useless for anything but composition, whereas the Olympus screen is very sharp and easy to see if you have nailed focus or not. Of course it could be that my eyes are not what they were and YMMV. If I were to replace my EM1 it would be with another EM1, it is just an amazing camera even in todays market.

Starfleet

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
I have an EM1 and an EM5mk2, I also have a G80.. The view finder is not as good and the rear screen is a joke when it comes to assessing your shots. It is so unsharp that it is useless for anything but composition, whereas the Olympus screen is very sharp and easy to see if you have nailed focus or not.
what do you shoot, raw, JPEG, or both? Cause i noticed that the preview of photos on Panasonic cameras has a lower resolution when shooting raw only. Maybe that's the problem you are really seeing.

Hazza

Just Clicking
Real Name
Harry
Good point, I shoot only raw, but I shouldn't have to also shoot jpeg to get a decent preview. If Olympus can do it then there is no excuse for Panasonic to not be able to do the same.

Gidget

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leah Hallett
The Pen-F has the best sensor, but wrong body. The GX8 is your best bet, except, to gain the most IBIS+Lens IS Combo you might need to significantly juggle you're lenses.

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
Unless you want a system change, I don't think you are going to see anything but a negligible change in performance in any other m43 camera in that price range.

If it were me I'd trade the well-used EM1 in to something like mpb.com and replace it with another EM1 in better condition. That'll keep you going until we start to see price drops in the mk2.

What glass are you using? Is it worth upgrading the glass for low light performance?

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Unless you want a system change, I don't think you are going to see anything but a negligible change in performance in any other m43 camera in that price range.

If it were me I'd trade the well-used EM1 in to something like mpb.com and replace it with another EM1 in better condition. That'll keep you going until we start to see price drops in the mk2.

What glass are you using? Is it worth upgrading the glass for low light performance?

12-40pro, 45 1.8, 75 1.8, will be my main lenses on this body. I have others for wildlife and landscape. But I need this body for portraits and family shots

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think I'd wait for the E-M5 Mark III, which is rumored to be coming out in a while (whatever that means).

I can’t find any rumors on it. That was my plan but I’ll need to pick up a body before then. Wish they would get on it lol

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Care to share some sample portraits that you've taken and what you think is lacking in them?

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What is leading you to believe that it is on its last legs?

--Ken
I just mean it’s beat up. It’s got a shattered screen, broken knob, etc it’s just beat up. Fall is my busy season and I don’t want to deal with it going down. I’m slammed until Christmas

Starfleet

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Good point, I shoot only raw, but I shouldn't have to also shoot jpeg to get a decent preview. If Olympus can do it then there is no excuse for Panasonic to not be able to do the same.
Agree, but sometimes it is what it is. Can find a workaround and be happy with what you have or keep looking for the "perfect" camera.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
If you're shooting professionally why not just pick up an E-M1 Mark II? You should already have the cost of replacement gear within your price structure and then there are the benefits of the cost of doing business with tax write-offs/depreciation.

And maybe send in your E-M1 for repair, cost less than $200 typically in the US.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
What is leading you to believe that it is on its last legs?

--Ken
It sounds like you have more than one body. If it were me, I'd send it in and let Olympus take care of all the issues. I realize this may not work for you, but it is a cost effective solution, and it buys you time until you can find a worthy upgrade in your price range (although what you see right now may be it for some time).

Good luck,

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom