Best RAW processor / noise reduction for GF1?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by antonisphoto, Dec 31, 2009.

1. antonisphoto

antonisphoto New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I see Bibble 5 includes RAW support for the GF1
    http://bibblelabs.com/products/bibble5/specs.html

as does Lightroom 2.6 but not DxO 5.3.6.

I wonder if there is a consensus here for the best RAW processor for RW2 files, especially in regards to noise reduction.
    Comparing DxO 5 to Lightroom 2.6 for Canon and Nikon, I saw significant advantages to DxO for controlling noise and adjusting "grain". I wish DxO 3 was available for the Mac - but until then, is there something better than Lightroom for GF1?....

Antonis

2. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    grumble - I lost RAW processing on my Mac when I went to OS 10.6, "Snow Leopard." Silkypix and Snow Leopard do not work together. So I downloaded an Adobe raw converter that converts RW2 to DNG. I now do everything with DNG files. I have no info for you, though, about noise reduction.

3. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Noise Reduction

I've been trying out different noise reduction plug ins in PS4. Most will work in Lightroom, some in Aperture, and some are available as stand alones. The two I've liked the most are Topaz DeNoise and Colormancer Boundary Noise Reduction. They are the slowest of the bunch, but the ability to really get rid of noise, and not lose much detail is quite amazing to me, after being used to what Adobe does. No messing with masking layers, etc. The demos are all free. The other two I've demoed have been Nik DeFine and Noise Ninja. There are others, also, and the people who seem most fluent in post processing tend to feel like each company is best in a specific area—I'm not there yet, and am very pleased with my experiences with both DeNoise and Boundary.

I've just been in the Adobe habit for a long time, and so am not that familiar with other raw processors. I had V 1 of both Lightzone (very intuitive esp if you know zone system exposure) and Capture One, but honestly didn't get to know them well enough to lure me away from ACR.

4. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    How do you get noise plug-ins (or any other plug ins) to work in Lightroom2.5?

5. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Lightroom support

I just went to the Topaz site, and they don't support Lightroom. Nik does, and my guess is several of the other plug in makers also do. Here's a link to them, and they have free demos available. It would also be worth looking at the other companies to see if they have Lightroom compatability.

http://www.niksoftware.com/products/usa/entry.php

6. Bikenut

Bikenut Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Ireland
    I have Lightroom, Bibble and Silkypix on the Mac and used them on the GF1 and now the EP1. But the program I found the best was a program called "Raw Developer" for the Mac from Iridient. Do a google search and download a trial version.
    It is fast and cheap, and has most of the stuff your need for raw adjustments. More importantly, I found that the noise looks better and the handling is better than the other three programs above.:drinks:
    The only downside (could be an upside to some) is that they don't correct any distortions. The real downside is that there is no tool to facilitate this yet. So you could be making a few trips to Photoshop afterwards for straight line horizons at wideangle. :dash2:
    Other than having no red-eye correction tool as well.....is had all the other basic tools which are speedy to use on the mac.
    Also they are brilliant for their upgrades and they upgrade for newer models cameras regularly free of charge even if they are program enhancements as well. I haven't paid for an upgrade in roughly over two years. :bravo-009:
    I'd Highly recommend it for the mac.