1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

best raw converter for E-P1 and 20mm lens

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Lex, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Lex

Lex Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2009
    hi, i have some issues with CA, Blooming and other distortions with my E-P1 and they can´t be corrected with the Lightroom onboard Tools.
    Here are some examples:

100%

100%:

100%:

100%:

Is there a raw converter that supports the E-P1 with the Panasonic lens that can correct this issues?

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Alex, Which version of LR are you using?
    Try the new beta 3.2. It works for me.

3. Lex

Lex Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2009
    I have the 3.1 Beta, does the 3.2 version correct it automatically?

4. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I would convert the ORF file to TIFF or large Jpeg, then of course do the adjustment. My Nikon NX2 will do it as well quite nicely. I have a copy of the Olympus Studio and would imagine that could also do it as well as anything else. After all it was designed with the Olympus code :biggrin: I may load that up once I get my PL1 later today and check it out. I hear it is quite extensive. Probably not as fast and intuitive as Lightroom, but I'm not shelling out for that program anytime soon. :tongue:

5. Lex

Lex Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2009
    I nearly can´t use Olympus Studio on my old mac because it is sooooo slow, lightroom is lightning fast against it. I opened one of the images in Olympus Master but lost my nerves while waiting aeons between any klick.
    Maybe i will try it this evening again.

6. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular

I took delivery of an EP-2 yesterday (at last) with the standard 14-42mm kit lens and last night I spent a couple of hours with Olympus Master 2 and found it to be very average. I have used Canons Digital Photo Pro while traveling on a lap top which is excellent but very tedious if you need to go back and forth into Photoshop. Likewise with Apple's Aperture Version 2 but the database and meta tagging are wonderful and if one does not need PS Aperture will fill the bill for advanced amateurs and pros alike Version 2 needed a high spec mac to really fly but I understand the current version is better in this regard. I tried Capture one with the first versions and the results were very good and print ready but again as soon as Photoshop or Elements for that matter is needed for serious manipulation Adobe Camera Raw comes into is own. It is extremely powerful and quick for batch processing. I would also recommend Bruce Frazers book for any one who wants to go beyond the basics.
    And what do I think about the EP-2 after 50 shots or so? Quiet compared with my full frame Canons, the EVF is much nicer to use and easier on the eyes than I expected. Yes I do find the auto focus a tad slow and under certain conditions it tends to hunt more than I would like. Canons and Nikons snap on to focus points faster but then they are much heavier which is one of the reasons why I needed a smaller system camera. The lens is the best 'kit' lens I have ever had. I really hope that Olympus bring a few high or pro quality prime lenses to the market. Then this system looks will be every bit as good as its OM forebear

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lex

Lex Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2009
    Lightroom 3 beta 2 didn´t fix it for me, it´s the same like before.

8. Lex

Lex Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2009
    I tried Olympus Master again yesterday in the evening and i even couldn´t find anything to remove Chromatic Aberration.
    I will have to look for a manual...

9. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I use Paint Shop Pro XI to remove purple fringing and CA. It does a pretty good job and I expect the later versions would be even better.