Best prime for OMD EM5 for shooting kids

Slecker

New to Mu-43
I'm an amateur. I have a Canon 40D with a 50mm 1.8 that I love. I have four little boys and they are my main photography subjects. I'm new to the micro 4/3 bit and have the OMD EM5 and have been loving it for the few short weeks that I've had it. My only complaint is that the kit lens isn't capturing nearly as many good shots of my boys as the 50 does on the Canon. I'm saving up for a prime. What is the best prime for the EM5 for shooting kids - a lot of the time, indoors?
I've looked at the Panasonic 20 but don't like the slow autofocus issue. The 25 is much too expensive.
I've also looked at the Oly 17 1.8. It's more than I want to pay, but looks like the best bet. ???
I recently started reading up on the new Sigma art lenses - specifically the 19mm 2.5. Not sure how I feel about the f2.5. Anyone have this?
Clearly I need a fast lens. Suggestions?

mcrosa

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike Crosa
I have the 17mm 1.8 and just recently acquired the 45mm 1.8. Wonderful lens. It's on sale now on the Olympus site.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Slecker, with 50mm on your 40D your effective focal length is 80mm. I'd look at the Olympus 45/1.8 to get close to that. It is better in every way vs the Canon set up imo, and I've used all of those bodies and lenses extensively for shooting kids.

The only counterpoint I will make is about the 17/1.8. Indoors it was my favorite lens for shooting kids. The 45/1.8 was too long for me in that setting. I'd want them both. But again, if you are happy with the 50/1.8 on your 40D the 45/1.8 is pretty similar. If you find the 50/1.8 to be too long at times then the 45/1.8 will put you in that situation even more so. Some people prefer one of the 25mm options, with effective FL of 50mm, to split some of the difference between the 17 and 45, but I too often found it either too short or too long. Really needed the pair of primes.

mcrosa

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike Crosa
To get an idea of what the 45mm can do. Take a look at the 45mm image thread on this forum.

Slecker

New to Mu-43
Slecker, with 50mm on your 40D your effective focal length is 80mm. I'd look at the Olympus 45/1.8 to get close to that. It is better in every way vs the Canon set up imo, and I've used all of those bodies and lenses extensively for shooting kids.

The only counterpoint I will make is about the 17/1.8. Indoors it was my favorite lens for shooting kids. The 45/1.8 was too long for me in that setting. I'd want them both. But again, if you are happy with the 50/1.8 on your 40D the 45/1.8 is pretty similar. If you find the 50/1.8 to be too long at times then the 45/1.8 will put you in that situation even more so. Some people prefer one of the 25mm options, with effective FL of 50mm, to split some of the difference between the 17 and 45, but I too often found it either too short or too long. Really needed the pair of primes.

I've often been frustrated with how long the 50 is indoors. That actually was the reason I started looking into getting a wider prime for the Canon, but then on a rabbit trail decided to go with Micro 4/3. That's why I'm looking for wider.

HaViet

Mu-43 Veteran
I asked the exact same question a few months ago when I first got my PM2, no longer have it though.

Most will tell you it's one of the Oly 17mm, 25mm, 45mm f1.8. If you have the cash, might as well get 2 out of those 3.

I just didn't have the $ for these fast primes.

Slecker

New to Mu-43
So the question is: do I sell my canon set up with all the accessories and what not to fund a pricier prime? I'm holding onto that Canon with an iron fist only because it's what I know and learned on. And because I'm not getting the same shots of my boys with the 12-50 Oly kit.
We are budget minded folk, so we save up for stuff. I'd love to just drop the money and get two primes at once, but that won't happen. :/
Sell the Canon? I already have a buyer.

Vivalo

Olympus loser
If you can afford only one lens, I'd say go for the Oly 25mm 1.8. Small, fast to focus and you are able to make some shallow DOF shots also. The best compromise between the focal lengths.

Slecker

New to Mu-43
So you wouldn't go for the 45 to replace the canon with the 50 and then save for a wider? Like the Oly 17 or possibly even the sigma 19 2.5? I'm not crazy about the f2.5 on the sigma, but folks love it and if I ended up with a fast 45 I don't suppose I'd be so picky for $200 with the sigma.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you like a 50 on APSC a sigma 30 is your best bet on a budget. It has pretty quick AF.

barry

Super Moderator
I've often been frustrated with how long the 50 is indoors. That actually was the reason I started looking into getting a wider prime for the Canon, but then on a rabbit trail decided to go with Micro 4/3. That's why I'm looking for wider.

So you wouldn't go for the 45 to replace the canon with the 50 and then save for a wider? Like the Oly 17 or possibly even the sigma 19 2.5? I'm not crazy about the f2.5 on the sigma, but folks love it and if I ended up with a fast 45 I don't suppose I'd be so picky for $200 with the sigma.

A 45mm on 4/3 will be much tighter/longer than a 50 on APS-C.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
Why hold on to the Canon? If you liked it that much, why did you buy the E-M5? Hmmm? :wink:

I would sell the Canon, and buy the Oly 25.

brettmaxwell

Mu-43 Veteran
"four little boys" + "indoors" = 17mm f1.8, no question.

I've owned the 17, 25, 45, and 75 Olympus f1.8s, used on an EM5. I also have a very active 2 year old. All those lenses are great at what they do, but for fast focus the 17 definitely wins, and is a better focal length for indoors. a little bounce flash to freeze motion may be helpful as well.

sircam1

Mu-43 Regular
There was a thread recently of someone with an EM-10 & a new baby on the way asking similar questions. Most of the responses would be useful in your situation too.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

emorgan451

Mu-43 Top Veteran
+1 for the Oly 25 1.8. I have the 17 2.8 and find the field of view a little too wide. I mostly use the 12-40 now and for shots of people indoors I almost always find the focal length to come out between 21 and 29. I would love to have the 25 1.8 someday because I hear it's got all the qualities I love from the 45 1.8 in a normal perspective. I think it's on sale right now too from Olympus....

Roast

Mu-43 Rookie
There was a thread recently of someone with an EM-10 & a new baby on the way asking similar questions. Most of the responses would be useful in your situation too.

I started that thread and got a lot of great feedback. With a newborn, most recommended the olympus 17, 25 and 45 1.8. The generally consensus was the lumix 20 1.7 would be too slow to focus.

I ended up going with the 25 1.8 and I absolutely love it. I can do a nice mix of general shooting and portrait work indoors. It is quick to focus, and only slightly hiccups when the lighting is really poor. I couldn't be happier with it, plus it was on sale with the em10.

I am just getting into photography, but I think that the 45mm would be too long for my needs indoors. If I had 4 kids who were on the move I think I would have went with the oly 17. Reading reviews of the 17, there are complaints that it could be sharper, but I think that little extra width and the fast af would be nice with kids running around.

My thoughts as an amateur;)

Slecker

New to Mu-43
Why hold on to the Canon? If you liked it that much, why did you buy the E-M5? Hmmm? :wink:

I would sell the Canon, and buy the Oly 25.

Why did I get the oly? Because I have four boys and am already carrying a world of junk around everywhere I go. The canon got left home one too many times. I love that thing, really only because it's what I learned on and know. I'm love love loving the oly, but just not the fact that I do not yet have a prime for those shots of my boys that I love getting from the canon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom