1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Best portrait/general set-up for max 1500 euro

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mikekiwi, Apr 30, 2013.

1. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    The budget as mentioned in the topic-title is fixed and really maxed out (I prefer to spend about €1250 to have some budget for some extra accessories, but those can wait if needed). I assume a 1:1 ration of € vs $ can be applied.

I would like to have a general set-up for holidays and family-pics and have some emphasis on portraits and groupshots (also in low-light). I also do some streetcandids, and look for details in urban environments.

Video is not important, only stills.

Used equipment is o.k. as well, however the 2nd hand market is not that big in Europe for m43-gear I noticed.

What should be included in the set-up:

- Main-camera with EVF
    - backup-camera, maybe it is wise to have a smaller camera as backup and for travel
    - Oly 45/1.8 (must have for me)
    - allround-zoom (kitlens is ok)
    - Telezoom is not important

I've already got some vintage lenses (Pentax smc a 50/1.7, SMC M 35/2.8, Takumar 55/2), main focus in the gear to buy is on native M43-lenses.

Of course I already have some options inmy mind, but I'm not mentioning them yet to get your ideas without only reacting on my suggestions.

So let me know, what would you do?

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I'd go with the E-M5 since that gets you your EVF included, 5 Axis IBIS and good low light performance. Between the 45mm you want and the vintage lenses you already have your portrait FLs are covered unless you decide want/need something longer. Since you say a telezoom is not required I'd just go with the 12-50mm kit lens. As a smaller camera, you could go with an E-PM1 which can be found quite cheaply in the US (not sure about Europe). If you did pick up an E-PM1 + 14-42mm kit lens, you could forego the 12-50mm kit lens with the E-M5 and save some money there, although you'd lose the 12-14mm range and the weather sealing (the 42-50mm you'd have covered in your other lenses, though not as conveniently as with the zoom).

3. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    And the Panasonic setup, using American prices) would be:

1) Panasonic G5 ($500 from Amazon including 14-42 or $600 from Costco including both 14-42 and 45-150. I'd buy the latter and sell the 45-150 if you don't want it.)
    2) Used Panasonic GF5 (or GF3) ($200) or w/ 14mm ($350)
    3) Olympus 45mm ($350)

If you're doing lots of indoor, low light shooting, a flash would probably be a decent idea. I'd be saving up for the 17/20/25mm lens as well.

The 14mm would give you a nice wider option that you could also put on the GF3 to make it ultra-portable.

4. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    thanks for your replies! Just a few notes from my side:

- flashgun should be included but I did not mentioned it intentionally (have extra budget for that_
    - GF5/GF3 do not have hotshoes for flash and therefore not o.k. as backup (need a hot shoe for flash or flash trigger, forgot to mention this)
    - a mixed setup of Panasonic/Olympus is an option as well, no need to stick to one brand for camera's

5. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    For one camera, the OMD EM45 with the Oly 45mm Lens.

For a main camera and a back up camera: Panasonic G6 for you main camera, about half the price as the OMD, and a Panasonic G3 as your back up/traveling camera as it has a 16mp sensor, built in EVF and hot shoe. These are going cheap in the UK and maybe where you are too.
    I would still get the Olympus 45mm lens and put whatever is left for the Pana/Leica 25mm.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    E-M5 kit (with 12-50) plus a 45/1.8 will run 1,335 euros from Cameranu.nl. My 'backup camera' is an RX100, which would push things out of your price range somewhat. Maybe add a Panasonic GX1 (order it from the USA at current prices and you'll stay within budget, i.e. maybe 280 US dollars including transatlantic shipping, which should translate to about 260 euros after import duties and taxes).

7. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    If you want to use flash or triggers then I wouldn't consider any m43 camera without a built in EVF since they would preclude you from using both flash and EVF at the same time.

8. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I get the point, but the backup is pure a backup in case the main camera is out of order. And for family trips and holidays where I don´t use triggers.

@mattia: the GX1 would be a wonderful backup indeed, but it might be a little on the expensive side

@The Minimalist: the 25mm is very very nice to have, but a bit on the pricey side. Maybe I can squeeze in the 20/1.7 and upgrade it later to the 25/1.4

9. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Well, guess what happens..something I was looking for for a couple f weeks just happened: a good second hand OM-D E-M5 for a good price. And I bought it...(well, payed the mony, hope the seller will send a camera and not a brick).

So, 850 euro left in my budget, I now am the virtual owner of a 3 months old OM-D, in perfect condition, display already renewed because of the bezel-issue (although it is from a series newer then mentioned @ Olympus). Body only, so now looking for the backup + lenses.

I get back to you later with some options on the 2nd hand market over here, I now have to go to a concert...:thumbup:

10. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Here are a few options I've gathered from your comments and what I can buy over here at this moment to add a backup camera and lenses. Please feel free to comment on this and add some extra options to think about:

#1. (in total €835, all new)
    - Panasonic G3 + 14-42 (€300)
    - Panasonic 20/1.7 (€300)
    - Olympus 45/1.8 (€235)

#2. (in total € €835, all new)
    - Oly EP-M1 + 14-42 (€ 300)
    - Olympus 45/1.8 (€235)

#3. (in total €885, all new)
    - Panasonic GX1 + 14-42 (€350)
    - Olympus 45/1.8 (€235)

#4. (in total €735)
    - Oly E-PL3 + 14-42 MSC (€200, used)
    - Olympus 45/1.8 (€235)

#5. (in total €960, but can sell the 40-150 for €100 I think)
    - Oly E-PM1 + 14-42 + 40-150 (€225, used, can sell the 40-150)
    - Panasonic 25/1.4 (€500)
    - Olympus 45/1.8 (€235)

Although my main use will be the OM-D, I would like to have a backup cam. In the options above I think the backup cam is a bit on the price-side (of course adding a kitlens as well as a benefit). Maybe it is wiser to first get te mentioned primes (45/1.8 and 20/1.7 or 25/1.4) and then wait for a bargain on a Panasonic G1 with the 14-45 lens...

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Of those options, the GX1 has the best sensor by a fair margin, and I really like the handling (a theoretical GX2 as a backup is high on my list, since I don't like the handling (or the IQ at anything above 400-800 ISO, prefer the RX100) on the GF2. Unless I find a killer deal on a second E-M5, that is :) Still seriously considering a GX1 for infrared conversion, since I don't really shoot IR at particularly high ISO anyway, almost always base ISO where there's more sun = more IR light.

I also recommend keeping an eye on the classifieds here. I got my 20/1.7 second-hand from a fellow Mu-43 member in the UK, and found both my 12-35 and 7-14 second-hand on fotoapparatuur.nl's classifieds. The availability of second-hand MFT gear is limited, but non-zero.

12. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Yep, I would favor the GX1 as a backup as well, but after thinking about it all day, I think I save that one for later as it is the most expensive option I have. But I'm still not sure...

And indeed, I keep an eye on the classifieds, both here (although 90% US only) and locally. I really do not need to have the system completed in 5 days, but trying to find out what to look for.

Question: is the AF-speed of older kitlenses (like the Panny 14-45) slower then the newer versions (P14-42 or Oly14-42II)? I can see some comparisons on IQ, but not on AF/speed.

13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    The newer Oly kit lenses definitely focus more quickly than the older ones do - I can't speak to the Panasonic kit lenses.

14. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    OK, clear, anybody has some experience on this subject about Panasonic-kitlenses?

In the meantime, my OM-D has entered the building...:2thumbs:

Attached Files: