Best Photo Printer for 13"x19"?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by HaViet, Mar 30, 2014.

1. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Just starting out and would like to get a nice budget printer for 13"x19" prints.

I guess "best" is quite vague, but I guess best value is more appropriate?

What do you recommend guys? Again, this is strictly for photo printing. I already have an all in one printer that does everything, except producing quality photo prints.

Thanks!

2. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Look at the Canon pro 100. Good rebates excellent quality.

3. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Second the Canon pro 100. Have had great results from my old Canon S9000 and intend to upgrade this year to the newer model.

4. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks guys. I see lots of talk about the Canon Pro100. It seems to be selling for about $50 after rebate. I will wait for a similar deal to come along.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    We had a Canon 9500II A3+ printer. It was great. Then we won a new Canon Pixma Pro 100 in a photo club raffle. The wife loves it for printing her scrapbooking projects. The Pro 100 impressed us enough that we gave the 9500II to a niece and got the Pixma Pro 1. But did I pay the list price of $999 for the Pro 1? Not! I found a new one on ebay for $575 delivered. I also got genuine Canon ink for it on ebay for 1/3 less that prices at B&H, Adorama...etc.

So look on ebay where someone has already gotten the rebate, but not opened/used a Pro 100 or Pro 10. You just might find a bargain. We did with the Pro 1.

6. I've been using an Epson 1400 and 1430. Both work fine for up to 13" wide prints. Epson ink is expensive but you can easily convert to refillable cartridges and use MIS, Cone or other 3rd party inks. No clogging issues and rarely banding or other problems. Just good solid printers at a reasonable price.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Another vote for the Pro-100. I just took delivery and the test prints so far are quite nice.

B&H currently has them on rebate; the printer and a package of 13x19 semi-gloss paper (50 sheets) sells for a bottom line of $98:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893738-REG/Canon_6228b002_Pixma_Pro_100_Photo_Inkjet.html

The rebate is in the form of an American Express Reward Card:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/Rebates_Promos/063014_CANON_PRO-100.pdf

and the offer includes free shipping.

Edit: If you decide to order from B&H or Amazon don't forget to use the mu-43.com links so that Amin gets a bit of credit :2thumbs:. The links in this reply are direct links, you'd want to use the ones Amin has embedded in the site.

Of course ink is always the pricey part of the hardware (paper and mounting ain't cheap either) but I've heard good things about a refill kit of third party ink available for the Pro-100:

http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC42cref.html

I can't personally vouch for them but am going to give them a go when my current ink supply dwindles.

The Pro-100 does not scan, does not fax, does not copy, it's a dedicated printer. It will print on various media, including DVD and CD disks (the ones that are designed for such a labeling purpose, not the standard disks).

The printer has a fairly large foot print and weighs 40-45 pounds or so as I recall.

Setup on Windows 8.1 was fairly quick and the printer comes with Mac drivers as well. The setup routine (if the default check boxes are all left checked) installs some printer tools, a printer menu, and the user's manual. There is no printed copy of the user's manual - I can't even find one in PDF format (the one on the Canon install disk is "live", not PDF).

Connectivity can be USB, wireless, or Ethernet. I set up Ethernet and had no difficulty in connecting the printer to my home network.

Most of the reviews I've seen have been quite positive (YouTube has several videos on the Canon Pro-100 including a couple by B&H).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  8. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks for the update Fmrvette.

I am still waint for a better deal on the Pro-100. Glad you really like yours.

9. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    We have both Canon Pro-100 and Pro-1. I agree Pro-100 is best value for 13x19 printer.

For best printing quality 13x19, you want Canon Pro-1 with all the different shades of gray and black ink plus chroma optimizer using pigment inks. The B&W prints it can do are amazing.

I got the Pro-1 delivered new for $575 from ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I have been reading this thread carefully because I have almost the exact same question, as the OP, to ask.. My only additional criteria is, to not spend much over $200.
    Unfortunately i only recently decided to get a printer, so I missed out on the Amazing Deal that Canon just had for the Pro-100 + paper.
    SO, now I have been also looking on the used market too for my printer, to find a good deal; but there are Way to many to choose from, and my knowledge of printers, with the quality and price of them, is severely lacking.

Rather than wait for another rebate offer from canon to come around, I looked and found a few used deals within my price range for printers, and having a large format that I like.
    So tell me, what do you people think of the Epson Stylus Pro 4000-C8 Inkjet Printer ?
    Are there certain things / components, that I should be concerned about with used printers?

11. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Just wait a month or two. $50 Pro 100 with paper seems to come up about every three months.

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What you really need to consider when choosing a printer are the:

- size of the largest capacity ink cartridges available (larger cartridges generally reduce the overall cost of ownership)

- type of ink used, dye or pigment (pigment inks tend to have greater longevity, but some dyes have improved)

- number of inks colours used (for best quality you need shades, especially in the blacks and greys, but also in the colours)

- type of paper able to be used and the feeder system (some won't accept thick paper stock due to lack of direct feed)

- price of consumables (in balance with the other considerations)

- number of prints you're likely to produce per month (if only a few, then the above considerations will have less weight and need to be balanced)

• Like Like x 1
  13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well thank you for this .. all great information..
    My head hurts now .. lol

I already have a pretty good color photo printer that prints border-less 8.5x11 and smaller.
    I liked the idea that the Epson that i mentioned does 17x22 sheets and can be roll fed.

Photography is my passion but my profession is as a draftsman. Schooled in Architecture and soon to finish a BA in Civil Engineering.
    Having a printer that can produce some Good 11x17 prints when I wan t them as well as shoot out some decent sized Cad drawings would be nice addition I thought, so I could also take advantage of maybe an occasional very large print .

I guess part of me was hoping someone would just tell me...yea, that the Epson Stylus I mention was fantastic. They don't need much maintenance and that I should buy it if I can get it used under 200

14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have a Canon IPF5000 printer; it can do 17" wide and almost as long a roll prints as you can get (10m is nominal). It uses 12 x 130ml capacity pigment ink cartridges that can cost $100+ each, and can also feed sheets from a cassette and top sheet feeder. It's a full network printer but, by today's standards, is probably somewhat old hat, despite the fact that it can produce some amazing prints. My only gripe about the printer is that it can be a pig to set up, especially if it hasn't been used for a while, but at least the inks and print head don't go wheels up if the printer has been dormant for a while. I use Qimage to print, as it's proven (for me) to be the best printing system to ensure fully calibrated prints time after time and easy to reset for different papers (I use Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl, Galerie Gold Fibre Silk and Museo Silver Rag).

Here's a review of the printer: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/canon-ipf5000.shtml.

15. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    SO a year later how do you like the Canon pro 100? Have you tried the precision inks refill? Good/bad? I wasn't even thinking about getting a printer til Adorama emailed me about this printer w/paper for $49 shipped free and see it got high reviews, so I just ordered one. Now I'm kinda excited about it and will print more often, but want to plan ahead on buying inks and saving $.

16. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Snapfish is the best printer for every size. Fast, convenient, cheap. No ink refills.

17. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    I can tell you all from experience that unless you plan to make a lot of prints buying an ink jet printer is a mistake.

Out source your printing to a service provider like snapfish. And learn and practice color management.

18. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I've been doing that for years, but got a deal from Adorama. I wasn't even considering a printer, but for $49 it will pay for itself, even if I never refill the ink. By all accounts this printer does stunning prints and I may want to print regularly and enter some art shows. I wasn't even really interested til I read the reviews and saw some samples. Should be a good experience, even if I ended up going back to print services in the end. I've never owned a quality printer. I got decent prints of a color Xerox machine at work, but I doubt it could hold a candle to what the 100 Pro can do.

19. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I've been printing my photographs since 1999. To be able print without wasting a ton of ink and paper you need:
    - A good monitor and a hardware calibration puck/software kit
    - OEM inks and paper that has color profiles for your printer, or:
    - hard/soft ware to create printer profiles

I had the Canon 9000MkII for 5 years and now the 100. These are dye based inkjets and I never had a head clog with them. I did with older Epsons. The printer software plug-in for Adobe products that comes with Canon make it easy to get get good prints, because it will handle all the printer settings to keep the profiles straight for the image editing software and the printer and the paper being used.

It will take some time and test prints to get a feel for how to tweak prints for the lighting in the viewing area.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1