1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best partner for O. Zuiko 25mm 1.8 in a Olympus EM-10 II

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by joui, Aug 1, 2016.

1. joui

joui New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2016
    Hello,

I recently acquired an Olympus EM-10 II with the 14-150mm kit lens. After a few weeks of testing I also bought an Olympus 25mm 1.8 lens to get pictures in low light and have a more portable kit.

At the moment I am very happy with the 2 lens and I'm thinking about buying a second lens to partner with 25mm. I am an amateur and my budget is low, so what would be the lens that you would buy to partner with Olympus 25mm?

I doubt between a Panasonic 14mm 2.5, Zuiko 45mm, Zuiko 60mm, Sigma 60mm... I know, focus completely different! I like portraits but I also like street photography.

Only a recommendation of a lens of great value that makes pair with 25mm to make different photos.

Thank you very much.

Joui

2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I would go with the 45/1.8, I find that a very nice lens for portraits. The 60/2.8 lenses will also work for portraits but you need more working distance to use them, I find 45mm to be more of a general use focal length personally.

The 14/2.5 would be an okay lens for street photography, especially if you want your camera to be relatively inconspicuous. It won't be that much better than your 14-150mm lens at the 14mm end though. However, you can buy one for about $150 on eBay, so there isn't much harm in trying it out.

I find a 12/14mm, 25mm and 45mm make a really nice 3 prime kit.

Some other high value lenses to consider:
    • Samyang (aka Rokinon and other brands) 7.5mm 3.5 fisheye, not really a general purpose lens but for around $200 it's a bargain, manual focus though
    • Samyang 12/2 - if you want something a bit wider and faster than the 14/2.5, and can live with manual focus, at about $300 it is priced competitively vs the Olympus 12/2.
    • Olympus 9-18mm 4-5.6, if you want a lens that doesn't overlap your current range this would be a very good choice, especially since you don't have anything wider than 14mm. Not the cheapest lens but you can pick one up for about $350-400 used on eBay (just make sure it's the M.Zuiko version not the older 4/3rds version).

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Presuming you like 25mm for street, I'd also go for a (used) portrait lens: P42.5/1.7 (my pref for shape, OIS, sharpness) or O45/1.8.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The question to ask is not "which lens", but "what kind of photos do I want to take that I can't do well with the 25mm".

Answer that question first. If you can't answer it, then you don't need a lens.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    The Oly 45mm is always a great value since you can pick up used copies for around $200-$225 US and it has always been regarded highly for its image quality. It is just one of those focal lengths that are not everyone's cup of tea, so what you often see them being resold a lot.

6. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Big fan of the 14mm 2.5 personally, probably my most used lens. But that's largely because it's tiny.