1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best Panasonic Lens' for Olympus Bodies?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcassat, Dec 16, 2011.

1. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Besides the 20mm what is your favorite Panasonic Lens for the Olympus body and why?

I'm really interested in using Auto Focus so if the lens has issues in this regard, please note it.

Thanks!

Dan

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    ALL OF THEM, lol.

My fav in terms of the rendering is the PL25. I'm a 50mm FOV shooter, so this is a beauty. I've not hit any focusing issues, and on a body with AF assist lamp, and the f/1.4, it focuses the best of any lens I've tried in lower light situations.

My most used lens is the 14mm. It's just so small and compact, and a fun focal length, and good close focusing distance. Fastest focusing lens I've found on m43.

I have the PL45 because when I hike, I like using 45mm FL for landscape details, and then also have macro. The PL45 also has great rendering, color and contrast. It can focus hunt because of the nature of the lens (mid telephoto using contrast detect AF, and also the super-long throw of a macro)

The 45-200 is a great lens through to 150mm. It softens a bit at 200. If you are OK with the size, it's an affordable zoom. Focusing is fine, but only if you make sure to upgrade the lens firmware.

I'd love to have the 8mm FE or the 7-14, but can't justify the cost.

Happy Shooting!

• Like Like x 1
  3. 14-140 works just as good on the E-PL1 as it does on the GH1, but only because Oly also has a decent grip. The E-PL2 and E-P3 with the optional grip should be similar. Unfortuneately the 14-140 is m4/3's unsexy lens: too big, too heavy, a zoom(!), a superzoom(!!!). That doesn't change the fact that it's probably the best lens of it's type that I've used.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You know, before I got it, I wondered when I would use the 8FE ... now that I have one, the answer is ALL THE TIME. Its a surprisingly versatile lens, amazing close focus. I only wish it were better in low light.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Lumix 14mm f/2.5 is my favorite lens on my E-PM1.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    After reading your replies it occurred to me that one might ask, "what kind of pictures do you take?" To which I realized that I see another lens as another tool of opportunity to explore. I'm sure others feel the same. I'm in this weird place trying to figure out what lens' are out there that I might be overlooking in my quest to expand my horizons...:)

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 Vario-Elmarit, because it's very much like the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 I love, except with OIS. ;)

It's not CDAF optimized, so it's going to AF slowly on an Olympus PEN. It will AF faster on an Olympus E-System camera. ;)

8. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Faster Zooms on the wish list, of course

I use my 14-42 SO much but alas wish that it was a 2.8 or faster so your reply is quite spot on!

9. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    I love my 14-140 on the Epl3 as I can switch IBIS off and get great looking video

10. I can't use this lens on my Pens anymore; the AF is just atrocious. On an old E-510 however this lens is just brilliant even though the camera feels a bit clunky to operate.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Which is why the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II is the best choice for this kind of lens on a PEN. Sure the AF isn't fantastic, but it is CDAF optimized and currently the best you'll get for this kind of lens until a fast standard zoom is made in Micro Four-Thirds mount. Until then however, the Zuiko 14-54mm is also super-compact for its specs, and balances well on the PEN.

For us old-fashioned guys AF is just a luxury. We want the best we can have at our fingertips, but it's not going to take priority over fast apertures and high-quality glass. ;)

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's the story of all the good 4/3 lenses (HG and SHG and high-end Panasonic). It's a shame because they are such good lenses, but the AF problems make them useless for a lot of things.

DH