1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best option for personal photo page?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by irelandOM1, Aug 9, 2013.

1. irelandOM1

irelandOM1 New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2013
    Oregon
    Chris
    (Not sure which forum this topic applies but hopefully this one works...)
    I was searching around for a convenient yet respectable looking way to create a personal photo/blog site and am kind of overwhelmed with the many options out there. Facebook of course is a popular option but it just seems a little too simplistic and way overdone. I've just started to investigate Flicker and have even looked into creating my own more personalized pages via Wordpress and using one of their generic photo-designed templates. It looks like you can get a pretty nice customized photography site for a fee but I don't think I want to go that route right now.
    Just wondering if anyone out there would like to share any expertise they might have in this area, any good and bad experiences with the various options, or any advice or suggestions.
    Thanks very much for any help.
    (update: after perusing this forum a little more I think I've found a thread that pretty much discusses my question. Sorry, I'm a newbie.)

2. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Flickr sucks. The site is just wayy too slow.

Google has a copy of it though and I'm thinking of checking it out.

3. desleyjane

desleyjane Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi - just wondering which forum you found for this discussion?
    Cheers.

4. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    WordPress is easy. And you can use Flickr as storage and link your media through and also network traffic :) or use Amazon s3 storage.

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Is Tumblr still a decent option, or is that too bare-bones?

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    OP's keywords to me are "blog" and "personal photo host".

7. irelandOM1

irelandOM1 New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2013
    Oregon
    Chris
    I found another thread on this subject in this forum but didn't notice until I got back to it that it's only 4 or 5 posts long, so not much there. So I appreciate the comments so far here and will be checking for more ideas and reviews of the different options.
    Thanks.

8. irelandOM1

irelandOM1 New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2013
    Oregon
    Chris
    So if I use Wordpress, it doesn't provide much space for photos and I'll be needing another place to display/store my photos?

9. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    It depends. If you have your own online hosting option, i.e. domain name and hosting (shared, virtual, dedicated server), you generally receive x amount of hard disk storage, and y amount of network bandwidth.

If you have full size images that could be used up quite quickly. So why not instead of paying for that yourself, use a lesser hosting option which is absolutely fine for your blogging requirements. Then use one of the many flickr, 500px, s3, you name it plugins to show your media from those sites in your media manager in wordpress. Which in turns allows it to us in local galleries etc. It all looks like everything is local :)

10. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    You can store your images on Flickr and link it to your wordpress blog either via embed or the various plugins available for WP

11. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I ended up going to Zenfolio. There is free version but because this has a maximum number of uploads per week I upgraded to a paid version which gives unlimited storage and no limits on uploads and gives plenty of options for access control. I also like the discrete branding compared to Smug Mug or Flickr.

I'm not a HTML programmer so to use the various templates provided as a starting point was a good option for me but there is plenty of options to modify anything on the templates to suit yourself even if don't have the ultimate flexibility of some sites. You get a blog option by default as well.

There a couple of tools that will link straight from Lightroom onto Zenfolio (including their own) but I use Jeffrey’s Friedl's “Export to Zenfolio” Lightroom Plugin which uses the Publish feature of LR4. He also does lots of other plug ins for LR including support for most photo hosting sites.

Our area is still in the early phases of construction but please free to look at the bits done so far (most of the photos are still under private viewing I'm afraid). www.padsphotography.co.uk[url]

12. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Sorry but I forgot to say there is a 30 day free trial so have a try

13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    +1 for Tumblr. It may look simple but it can be very customizable. WordPress is overcrowded and storage is limited.

14. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    500px seems to be very, very popular as a photo sharing / portfolio type place. Either that or Google+ look like good options. I currently have a 'photography' section on my website but it's a pain to update, going to eventually see if I can sign up to one of these sites and use their APIs to make my site auto-update when I post new stuff.

15. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    What does that mean?

16. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I imagine he means if you have an account on wordpress.com, but that isn't how most people use the platform. I have a wordpress install on my website, so the storage is limited by how much space my host gave me (in this case, 500mb). I guess you can't just install tumblr on your own website though!

I think it is pretty important to use a platform that has some kind of sharing capability, so your stuff can get noticed, so just getting a free blog on wordpress or blogspot won't really cut it anyway.

17. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    Yes I think you are right, it is the only thing I can image. However even when you roll your own Wordpress installation, there are lots of SEO and sharing possibilities but indeed less casual browsing. But keep posting those articles on all the key social networks and it will come :)

Lots of free plugins to drive traffic through Facebook/twitter/linkedin/pininterest etc...

18. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Google's Picassa is my choice; Blog on Google+ if you wish.

15 gb space free.

19. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    If you have a PC that you keep on 24x7, install a web server and something like Gallery2. Or find a budget webhost, I like dreamhost and do the same. You can find coupons making it very cheap. With either option you control your images, sizes, who sees them and who doesn't.