Best Olympus viewfinder

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Saledolce, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Which Olympus camera has the biggest, brightest, better viewfinder? I have an EM10 mark ii, what should I pick to have a substantial improvement in the viewfinder?

thanks

2. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Washington DC
    Tony
    E-m1 mk2. I forget it's evf sometimes. The faster refresh compared to th mk1, and the ability to use focus peaking with it now is excellent.

3. SLOtographer

SLOtographer Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Sep 1, 2013
    California
    Stan
    I've used the EM1.2 and am waiting to have one delivered. EM1.2 has a great EVF. I think it works well even with glasses. The potential downside is that the camera is the most expensive and largest in size. Things like viewfinders and ergonomics are highly personal -- ideally you'd be able to get your hands on some cameras to test it out yourself. Good luck!

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

It pays to go look up the specs for actual resolution but...

The E-M1 Mk2 has the highest resolution and refresh, but the add-on VF4 that goes in the old AP2 slot is also high resolution but physically an even bigger view. So depending on what is more important, those are your two top options.

Other than that, both E-M1 Mk1 and E-M5 Mk2 also have a significantly upgraded EVF from what is in the E-M10s and E-M5 Mk1. They are quite large and also high resolution.

Then there's the PEN-F, it's high resolution but physically smaller than the OM-Ds.

5. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Put a 1.22x magnifier (Find a creative way to do so...) on the E-M1II and you'll have a viewfinder that'll rival manual film era viewfinders at a mindblowing .9x+ size.*1 The cons being that you'll lose the corners but using mode 2/3 on the EVF to get the information lumped at the bottom instead of the sides will help. In all, you'll still have a viewfinder bigger than most SLRs AND DSLRs, just at the cost of having to move slightly (As an eyeglass wearer) to see your shots remaining count and battery status.

*1 That's 1.8x for m43s. .9x of a 35mm viewfinder.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    If I compare the data on the website, the resolution seems to be the same for EM10ii, em5 and em1.2. 2.36m dots.

Whats the right spec to look at here, to compare size and brightness? Eye point? Thats 19mm on em10, grows to 20mm on PEN-F and to 21mm in em5 and em1.

7. wjiang

Definitely pays to read the specs huh... I didn't realise the E-M10s got upgraded to 2.36M as well.

The thing to look for is EVF magnification, the higher the number the better.

8. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    do I read this correctly with you saying that the VF-4 does fit the new E-M1 mk2? :hmmm:
    If that is correct then things change for me... coz the VF-4 is one of the best features on Olympus bodies, at least for lower to the ground work where composition and focusing with manual lenses is critical
    I have discarded the idea of possibly replacing my current cameras (when they die) with a E-M1 mk2 since I could not use the swivel EVF... started looking at the GX8...

9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    It's true. The VF-4 needs the Accessory Port below the hotshoe, which the EM1.2, EM5.2, EM10.3, and PEN-F lack. The EM1 and PL-8 have the accessory port.

Sorry @gnarlydog australia@gnarlydog australia, you'll have to use the swiveling display for low to the ground stuff.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  10. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Thats very useful. So, if I read this correctly em1.2 and em5ii have the better viewfinder.

Em10ii is 1.23x
    Em1ii and em5ii are 1.48x
    Pen-f is 1.23x
    Apparently also the first em1 had a 1.48x magnification.

I think this makes very clear to me where I should go to have an improved viewfinder. Thanks guys.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    oh rats! I've long wondered if an EM5 mk II + VF4 would be an ideal setup. guess not. another + in the GX8 column.

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    As far as I know all current Olympus bodies with an EVF use the same panel - 2.36Mp. The E-M10ii iii and Pen F have a magnification of about 1.2 and the E-M5ii and E-M1ii a magnification of about 1.4.

On older bodies, the E-M1 shares the same spec as its newer namesake and the older E-M5 and E-M10 have an older panel with lower resolution and magnification.

13. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Dumb question. Does it make any sense to compare this magnification number between an Oly and a Pana body? Does it make any sense to compare magnification multiplier across different systems?

14. wjiang

Yes, and yes. On m4/3 they should be directly comparable, if comparing to other systems crop factor is applied (so halve the m4/3 magnification if comparing to FF). Depending on where you read this may already be applied.

Brightness is sort of irrelevant when you get into backlit EVFs, because they are artificially lit they behave totally differently to optical viewfinders.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  15. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I have the EM10 and EM5 - both MKII. Although the specs would indicate that the EM5 MKII has a better EVF, I find that in my own use the EM10 MKII seems much clearer and "vibrant" (for lac of a better description). I have the cameras set up idendically so far as possible.

16. wjiang

@runner girl@runner girl raises a good point, EVFs may be calibrated differently. You can adjust brightness and tint usually, but that's about it. I personally like my EVF preview somewhat flat since I like to get an idea of RAW exposure, but if you use SOOC JPEGs that might be a detraction.

17. Bengeo

Bengeo New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2014
  18. whumber

whumber Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2017
    Are you sure about that? The VF-4 is rated at 1.48x magnification which is exactly the same as the E-M1 and E-M1 Mk2.

19. wjiang

It's anecdotal, but because the VF4 sticks out the eye relief is a bit better, or so people say. You'll have to ask those users that stick a VF4 on top of an E-M1 Mk1 for the specifics (I forgot who, but someone on the forum does this).

20. whumber

whumber Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2017
    The fact that the VF sticks out further shouldn't have any effect on the eye relief, that's purely a function of the optical design. It should have an effect on "nose relief" though, =).