1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best ois lens for hand held videos?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by yordanrhapsody, Oct 10, 2013.

1. yordanrhapsody

yordanrhapsody Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 4, 2010
    Hi everyone, I'm about to buy gx7 or ep5

One thing that I'd like to know is how good is mega/power ois for occasional hand held video shooting

Is there a lens with a similar behavior to the 5-axis oly syatem? Can someone show me some videos

Thanks

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Most of the sites I've seen do an actual comparison of the two systems (as opposed to just repeating "5-way IBIS is supercalifragilisticexpealidocious, and OIS can't keep up), so that Panasonic's latest OIS, as seen in the 12-35, 35-100, and more recent lenses is very close to Oly's 5-way IBIS. Luminous Landscape, which is highly respected, said the EM-5 was perhaps the equivalent of 1/2 stop better than the 12-35, but it was hard to tell the difference in most circumstances.

I've seen some tests that claim OIS in the 100-300 lens performs slightly better than the EM-5's IBIS at the long end, and some that claim the reverse. There seems to be very little to choose between them.

Unless you expect to use non-stabilized lenses, I wouldn't choose based on which type of IS the system uses.

3. yordanrhapsody

yordanrhapsody Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 4, 2010
    how about 14-42 PZ or 14-140? are they of any use in hand held video shooting?

4. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    For video I found 5 axis is more smoother than Power OIS, walking with camera actually feels like using steadicam. Too bad the codec in Olympus tend to break up easily. When paired with prime lens it is like cinematic quality compare to using zoom lens because of bokeh.

Though for AF Panasonic beats Olympus paint down for tracking objects during video, I always use AF for tracking my dog running around on Panasonic body.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The 14-140 is quite good, although not the fastest focusing lens around (the old one, I think the new one is faster). The PZ has a reputation of really bad sharpness issues in the shutter speed range where shutter shock is a problem, but that wouldn't be an issue at all for video. Other than that issue with stills, I think the lens is actually quite good.