1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best of M43 system?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by fastcar888, Apr 17, 2011.

1. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    What do you like the most about your M43 system? :drinks:

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Size - small, but not too small.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Size/weight.

I was crawling up mountains of pipe fittings yesterday to take some photos for our company website, and it struck me how much easier it was than if I lugging a 5D boat anchor around.

4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Size & Weight.

ยต43 has brought me back to the pure joy of photography.

Always have a camera with me... always. I just couldn't say that with my DSLR gear.

oh, and the 20mm Panasonic Wonder Lens....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Different user experience compared to SLRs. Not better, just different.

6. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Size, weight, ergonomics, image quality.... pretty much everything ;)

7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Nic,

I totally agree with you. There have been some times that having my DSLR would have been nice, really nice.

Each time that occurs I remind myself that were it not for my M43 gear, I probably wouldn't have the camera in my hand at all at that moment..

That's all I'm trying to say here. The ease of carrying the GF1/20mm around, for example, wasn't an option with my full size gear. So many times I just didn't bother to carry it.

Now I always have something with me. So I'm happiest about the size and weight...

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  8. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Size, weight, the feeling of quality, the fact that I can control the in-camera processing and get exactly what I want right out of the camera, the wonderful lenses - everything.

I never take the remaining DSLR out of the house and am only using it to photograph paintings for a client, mostly out of habit - and have no interest in having it with me. Haven't missed it once.

9. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The compactness of the system, and the flexibility of interchangeable lenses.

10. I know exactly where you are coming from. For some, Micro 4/3 is the perfect single system, and for others, it is the perfect compliment to an SLR system. No one method is right or wrong.

The system that suits you IS the perfect system (for you!).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
  12. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Size/IQ

sexyness of Oly E-P bodies ;)

13. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    This.

... and this.

I loved my 5D2. I did a lot of location shoots with it, took it to work on occasion when wanting to do some street shooting & trekked around Dubai with it for 3+ hours on a 45C+ day. I had a good bag and a really lightweight tripod, but it was still just too much to have with me every day. I'd leave it at home and started to do a lot of shooting with my iPhone (thanks to Instagram). Having a camera I could use everyday became the driver, and with the new job (and less time for pro shoots), I sold the 5D2 and went MFT.

In short? Size & weight. I take it with me to work every day, and most of the shots you see me posting in the 20 f1.7 thread are usually from after-work wandering downtown (on the way to dinner somewhere).

14. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    well at the moment it is the sheer joy of being able to use Nikon AIS lenses and often get better results with my GH2 than the D700. Why -- 3 reasons: 1. very high resolution of the sensor and weak AA filter gives amazingly sharp results 2. real and reliable as opposed to hit and miss manual focus 3. Depth of field in realtime through the viewfinder (with a DSLR only really possible with a tripod and even then it's a hassle).

Overall, it's the sheer flexibility of the system. Want to go light? Then just the camera with the 20m or 14-45 weighs next to nothing and still gives good IQ. And of course there's market leading video although I don't know when I'll get round to really testing this.

15. Camerafrog

Camerafrog Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    Size, weight and that I can see exposure and WB before the shot. I still prefer to use my 5D whenever possible though, for image quality reasons.

16. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    It makes me look cool.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    Certainly the size/weight and portability, but also the enormous flexibility to use so many other lenses. While I am extremely happy with the Panasonic lenses I have, I love being able to use my older Leica M lenses, Nikkors, etc.

Also, as mentioned above, there is a different essence to photography with the m4/3 cameras, much like the old days when I used Leica rangefinders. I still use Canons (5DII and 40D) for certain things, mostly sports, but I tend to grab my m4/3 gear for just carrying around with me.

18. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Size and IQ. Or great IQ for small size to put it better. Let's face it pocket digi-cams are available, but I've been disappointed with all the ones I've tried for one reason or another. My E-P1 really hits so many of the things I had been looking for it's remarkable.

19. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    As with most of the replies here is is size and weight, I still like using can Canon system and do go out using it, but not as much as I have meant too. I have a canon G9 that I used to use if I was taveling light but now tends just to be my :43: outfit. I quite happy to sling the bag on my shoulder and head out. Also when away the good lady it a lot easier not going on at me that my camera bag to heavy (which it could be) but not admit too it being! Quality is good with all these cameras I always shoot in RAW anyway.

20. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    These m4/3 cameras and lenses do seem to "bring back" photography for me as well. It is always difficult to move on and let go of the old. I hung on to film way too long - especially with the Hassleblad Xpan, finally getting a fair price for it on eBay. Same with the Nikon equipment - sold all except a couple lenses and the D-80, which I now use only because I have it and for one situation (photographing paintings) only. I'm affraid to use the Panasonics for that, because then there would be no reason to have the D-80.

Life is really too short to hang onto these outmoded relics, like DSLRs. For me the G1 and GF1 are simply way more fun to use, and produce equally if not better results.