Best Non-Prime Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by inzuvious, Oct 30, 2013.

1. inzuvious

inzuvious New to Mu-43

Oct 30, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I just purchased the Olympus OM-D E-M5, and I'm looking for a decent (and preferably cheap) non-prime. Nothing fancy, but just a lens for general use that has multiple lengths.
  2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Probably the new Panasonic 14-42 II lens. Can be gotten split out of kits for $150-175 on ebay right now. Don't confuse this with the earlier version 1 of this lens, which has lousy build quality and only average optical quality, but can be found for $75 or so.
  3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Yes, this a very nice, sharp and tiny lens that's got a great build quality. I picked one up for $180 from an Amazon seller. It was split from a kit, so it has a plastic mount :crying: but I got it in a few days instead of weeks. I'd much rather have gotten the metal mount version, but that has to be imported from Japan at greater expense. If Panny sold this boxed version in the US, I'd have sprung for it. BTW, I've owned the Oly 14-42 II R, but I was never all that happy with my copy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Another good option is the Pany 14-45 lens, which has a strong, loyal group of fans, including myself. Mine came with the GF1 I purchased about 4 years ago and I'll never part with it (the 14-45, that is).
  5. BB88

BB88 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    You said its nice but you are not happy with it..:confused:

s it the kit lens that come with epl3/epm1?
  6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    She wasn't happy with the OLYMPUS IIR kit lens. She said the Panasonic version II kit lens was nice.
  7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Yes, I said "I was never all that happy with it," but I should have said I was never all that happy with my copy. I took some nice photos with it, but the wide end was soft. I find the Panny 14-42 II to be much better both in build quality and in sharpness throughout the zoom range. I still prefer my primes, but when I want to bring one lens and don't really know what I'll be shooting, I reach for the Panny 14-42 II.
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm guessing you didn't manage to score a 12-50 along with the E-M5? That's the one I'd choose if I could get it as part of the kit, or used at lower prices. I wouldn't pay full price for it though...
  9. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I strongly concur. IMHO the BEST "inexpensive" non-prime "kit" lens.

Good luck!
  10. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    It's still going Don, it came off of my GF1 kit.....and it's been on four other bodies since. It has no issues.
  11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Extra wide .. extra long.. Macro in a pinch. Very useful range.

But heck no.. don't pay retail price of it.
  12. Lee O'D

Lee O'D Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    The 40-150 has to be the bargain of the century. It's cheap and plasticy, but the results are extremely good, much better than you would expect from such a cheap lens.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'd echo this strongly. If you must use "best" and "cheap" in the same post, this is the lens you want.
  14. Mikros

Mikros Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    + it is weather sealed. Just got mine couple of days ago, took it for a spin - impressed so far. As they say - a swiss knife of the lens.

+1 on this. The IQ is really outstanding and surprises me every time I use it.

Both of them can be had second hand in mint condition for a total less than $300, covering 24 to 300mm in old school range plus 1:2 macro capability. What's not to like? They need a good light though.
  15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

"Non-prime" is this the new politically correct term for a zoom? :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1