Best noise removal software?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Rawfa, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2009
    I´ve read a bunch of stuff about this matter but nothing like hearing from the users them selves.
    Which noise removal software obtains the best results? Speed is also a factor, but quality is the main thing.
  2. IIGQ4U

IIGQ4U Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2011
    La Jolla CA
    Topaz Denoise is the best I have used thus far.

I have heard that the Nik Software denoise program and Noise Ninja are also very good but my nod goes to Topaz Denoise.
  3. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    the topaz is really good, they might have best NR program currently.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I use Noise Ninja, and know a lot of photographers who use Nik.
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    I'm not very masterful with all the PP programs, but for my needs, nothing beats Noise Ninja. I am quite satisfied with the results of their "Profile Image" button, most of the time I find I don't have to do any adjustments. Literally a one-click solution. :)
  6. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    I use Nik DFINE 2... i've used noise ninja but I think the Nik software is better to me.
  7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The anal part of me (some say that is the biggest part) wants/needs to now exactly (as far as possible) what is being done. To get at the bare bones and still get full features for <$100 I go to The Handbook of Astronomical Image Processing with AIP4Win Software by Richard Berry and James Burnell which includes a textbook as well.

Although a bit dated it does have full and low level control over a very nice set of tools that do the wavelet processing that all the 'latest and greatest' use today.

For getting into digital astrophotography one would be hard pressed to find a better intro and tool suite. Nobody can touch the price.
  8. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Nik Dfine for me, and I've tried pretty much all of them....
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Another happy Nik Dfine user here.
  10. GaryInOz

GaryInOz Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2010
    Sydney, Oz
    Seems I'm the odd one out so far - Neat Image is my choice..... :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2009
    Many thanks, everybody. I might just give Nik a try, as I've read in another forum that is allows you to select which part of the image you want to apply NR...which is a very useful feature.
  12. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dfine 2.0

I've used several. Up until I tried Dfine 2.0, I'd have to say it was Imagenomic Noiseware. The first time I used Dfine I didn't see any apparent improvement, expecting the very subtle loss of very fine detail. I attended one of Nik's on line seminars that explained the NR logic Dfine uses.

The way I understand it, it does not apply any NR across the edges of any object. Solid objects and fields receive the NR. In addition, you can selectively choose several colors (eye dropper tool) to target noise where's it's strongest.

The end result was less noise without the apparent loss of fine detail. I like it - a lot!
  13. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Another happy Noise Ninja customer here. I use NIK for color work. These might change as I'm switching from an Adobe-based workflow to Aperture.
  14. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  15. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I've been using Nik Dfine but am currently testing LR3 and find the NR function in LR3 pretty good.
  16. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I bought Imagenomic Noiseware because Scott Kelby mentioned that in one of his books. Can't say I use it a lot, I detest anything but the slightest amount of noise reduction and hardly ever deviate from the standard settings in ACR. When needed I felt that ACR was as good as Noiseware, which means mostly not to my liking :smile:.

Have to give Nik Dfine a spin as many people here like it.