Best mirror lens for m43

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by colbycheese, Aug 8, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Hello. i am wanting to get something with a bit more reach than my 135mm takumar. My signature says i have the tamrom adaptall, but it is way to big and cumbersome to be using on a E-M10. I asked a while ago about longer lighter lenses and a few people recommend the Tokina 300mm f6.3. I know that mirror lenses aren't the best to focus, and aren't too sharp, I don't think i could find a 200mm or more legacy lens lighter than these, unless someone else has an idea. So my question is, i know the tokina is for m43 mount, but is there any sharper and easier to use mirror lenses designed for other mounts, like nikon and such? I was also toying with the idea of getting the olympus 40-150mm and just cropping. Would i get sharper, or better results this way? Let me know what you think

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There's a Chinese one from Kelda on eBay I saw recently for $90, too.

Tokina at $140 from B&h is prob the best bet in this category.

They have their cons, but a 300mm the size of a kit lens is a massive pro.

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The M43 Tokina 300mm is $139 with free shipping to US customers. You might have to pay more with that weak Canadian dollar, but I doubt you'll find a legacy mirror lens any cheaper or better, unless you can find the Minolta 250mm, which is far more expensive, I believe most of these things are 500mm and that makes them hard to hand hold and focus.

I think the Olympus ZD 70-300mm zoom on an 4/3 adapter gives better results, but it's a big lens, plus that combo is $200-300 USD. I have it and the Tokina reflex. The zoom rarely leaves the house because of size, but I can pack the mirror lens. You'll find some good shots with the Tokina on flickr.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, which 40-150mm are you thinking of?

I have an Opteka 500mm f8 in 4/3 mount, and it is poor... it is very hard to focus and I have not been able to get better pictures with it than with my ZD 70-300mm, in fact the ZD is noticeably sharper.
    I'm not sure if the Tokina 300mm is better or not.

I've read there were 1 or 2 good Reflex lenses made in the 1970's or 1980's, but I don't remember if the good one was the Olympus or a Sigma, but either way, they're 500/8.

Barry

5. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    planning to get the olympus 40-150mm f4-5.6. I found it for 100 bucks locally, might just pick that up instead

6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I have the Tamron 300/5.6. You can fix the contrast in pp but I just can't get past the horrid bokeh.

7. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Keep in mind that "sharpness" doesn't exist in the real world. It is merely a figment of your brain's imagination. What exists is resolution and contrast. Your brain generates its "computer enhanced" impression of "sharpness" from these and other clues.

Mirror lenses are generally capable of producing high resolution images. They also suffer less from chromatic aberration (the real CA and not the sensor artifact variant) than conventional lenses. They produce images that seem "unsharp" to two common reasons:
    • Motion blur, usually camera motion: They are almost universally long focal lengths and require substantial support to keep steady.
    • Low contrast due to internal reflections
    The latter can be adjusted for in post processing to a large degree. Don't expect to get good pix with in-camera JPEGs. Shoot RAW and post-process to add a mix of Contrast, Clarity, Vibrancy, and/or Saturation. The former requires that you use very high shutter speeds (4x the FL +) or a substantial tripod. A good IBIS can help, but isn't a cure all.

Also keep in mind that mirror lenses always shoot at maximum aperture and that their DOF is generally rather shallow. This makes precise focusing critical.

8. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    • Like Like x 1