"Best" Micro Four Thirds Lens ...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Aushiker, Jul 8, 2015.

1. according to Jay Soriano in a blog posting to be found here. Jay concludes with what he considers are the best lenses in the following categories:

Best Zoom Lenses
    Best Pancake Lenses
    Best Portrait Lenses
    Best Video Lenses

and suggests that the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and Panasonic-Leica 25mm f1.4 are the best overall lenses.

Has he got it right?

Andrew

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    "best" lens is a personal thing. It may be the 'best' for him, but not for others.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Wow, that site was messy! Really hard to quickly browse through. Maybe a bit too biased text for a zoom shooter like me but I can agree that the 20mm is a darn good lens (IQ-wise).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. If the 20mm focused faster I'd have no worries switching out my 25mm f/1.8 for one. I really like that focal length between a 17mm and a 25mm, and it would really be a good fit for my one "normal" prime for low light use. Unfortunately the focus won't keep up with the kids!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    I started reading until the background blur comparison between the Oly 75 on m43 and a 24x36 24 mm f/1.4
    "you can see that the Olympus 75mm f1.8 produces much more background blur than Canon’s popular 24mm f1.4 on a full frame camera at when the subject is more than 2 meters from the background"

Comparing a 75 mm to a 12 mm (m43 equivalent focal length)... wow.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No.

7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2010
    If I had to have only one lens for m4/3 system, it would be the Panasonic 20mm 1.7. I think it is the best compromise considering focal length, price, IQ, f-stop, size and AF-speed (which isn't that bad on newest Panasonic bodies). But since I can have more than one lens, I don't own that anymore, or should I say at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    I would probably say the P20 1.7 as well, but I can't really hand it that accolade, because of the dealbreaking high-iso banding on Olympus bodies. Hmrpf, really a shame.

For now I'm going with the P25 1.4, as it works beatifully on both O. and P. bodies, and produces really interestingly looking photos at a useful focal length. The O45 is a wonderful lens also, but it's not a very handy FL for everyday shooting - I simply found I used it far too little.

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    As much as I like the 20 I can't think of it as the best lens, though it may be the best choice for an individual. The premise is off-putting in the first place, and Soriano mostly just adds more to the growing pile of mediocre writing about photography and gear.

10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I often wonder if I am not some sort of lens harlot, buying and selling the same lens more than twice. I have finally committed (for now) to not sell my 20 and my 14 pancakes (just to rebuy) again.

Glad to see I am not the only one.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    I read that too and just lol'd and shook my head...

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The P20 is a great lens. I never owned the P25 but have the O25 instead. What a messy site.

13. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    If I could only have one m43 lens it would be the Noctiicron ... What a great lens! I wish Olympus made it but they don't ! Go Leica design !!! Its a gem !!

14. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Tbf I adore the Zuiko 75 too but the Nocticron Kills

15. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    What's the criteria for "best" here? If we're not addressing a certain photographer's needs for focal length, aperture, physical size and just going by optical merits, IMO, the two best native m43 lenses are the P42.5/1.2 and O75/1.8 when it comes to primes and the O/Pro trio when it comes to the standard trio of wide, standard and tele zooms. That's my opinion and everyone else is entitled to their own.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    I agree with others comments regarding the P/L 42.5mm, it is a superb lens. I must be honest though and admit that I'm falling in love with the P/L 15mm f1.7 :love:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I don't have a problem with someone posting his "best" list on his website. We essentially do that here as well. I do respect that he defers to others on zooms and lenses for video.

Hey, does anyone want to hear what's on my "best" list? :hiding: :sorry:

• Like Like x 1
  18. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Can I guess O17 or O45 :) 

• Like Like x 1
  19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  20. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    So personal and needs vary too much for a "best" discussion. My two cents.

More useful might be "great value" lenses discussion.
    - The o45 because it's so good and so cheap you might as well have it.
    - The 50-200, again so good and versatile at unbelievably reasonable price.
    - The p20 for IQ if you don't need fast AF...
    -etc...

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.