"Best" Micro Four Thirds Lens ...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Aushiker, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    according to Jay Soriano in a blog posting to be found here. Jay concludes with what he considers are the best lenses in the following categories:

Best Zoom Lenses
    Best Pancake Lenses
    Best Portrait Lenses
    Best Video Lenses

and suggests that the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and Panasonic-Leica 25mm f1.4 are the best overall lenses.

Has he got it right?

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    "best" lens is a personal thing. It may be the 'best' for him, but not for others.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Wow, that site was messy! Really hard to quickly browse through. Maybe a bit too biased text for a zoom shooter like me but I can agree that the 20mm is a darn good lens (IQ-wise).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

If the 20mm focused faster I'd have no worries switching out my 25mm f/1.8 for one. I really like that focal length between a 17mm and a 25mm, and it would really be a good fit for my one "normal" prime for low light use. Unfortunately the focus won't keep up with the kids!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    I started reading until the background blur comparison between the Oly 75 on m43 and a 24x36 24 mm f/1.4
    "you can see that the Olympus 75mm f1.8 produces much more background blur than Canon’s popular 24mm f1.4 on a full frame camera at when the subject is more than 2 meters from the background"

Comparing a 75 mm to a 12 mm (m43 equivalent focal length)... wow.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
  7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    If I had to have only one lens for m4/3 system, it would be the Panasonic 20mm 1.7. I think it is the best compromise considering focal length, price, IQ, f-stop, size and AF-speed (which isn't that bad on newest Panasonic bodies). But since I can have more than one lens, I don't own that anymore, or should I say at the moment.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    I would probably say the P20 1.7 as well, but I can't really hand it that accolade, because of the dealbreaking high-iso banding on Olympus bodies. Hmrpf, really a shame.

For now I'm going with the P25 1.4, as it works beatifully on both O. and P. bodies, and produces really interestingly looking photos at a useful focal length. The O45 is a wonderful lens also, but it's not a very handy FL for everyday shooting - I simply found I used it far too little.
  9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    As much as I like the 20 I can't think of it as the best lens, though it may be the best choice for an individual. The premise is off-putting in the first place, and Soriano mostly just adds more to the growing pile of mediocre writing about photography and gear.
  10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    I often wonder if I am not some sort of lens harlot, buying and selling the same lens more than twice. I have finally committed (for now) to not sell my 20 and my 14 pancakes (just to rebuy) again.

Glad to see I am not the only one.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    I read that too and just lol'd and shook my head...
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The P20 is a great lens. I never owned the P25 but have the O25 instead. What a messy site.
  13. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    If I could only have one m43 lens it would be the Noctiicron ... What a great lens! I wish Olympus made it but they don't ! Go Leica design !!! Its a gem !!
  14. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Tbf I adore the Zuiko 75 too but the Nocticron Kills
  15. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    What's the criteria for "best" here? If we're not addressing a certain photographer's needs for focal length, aperture, physical size and just going by optical merits, IMO, the two best native m43 lenses are the P42.5/1.2 and O75/1.8 when it comes to primes and the O/Pro trio when it comes to the standard trio of wide, standard and tele zooms. That's my opinion and everyone else is entitled to their own.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I agree with others comments regarding the P/L 42.5mm, it is a superb lens. I must be honest though and admit that I'm falling in love with the P/L 15mm f1.7 :love:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I don't have a problem with someone posting his "best" list on his website. We essentially do that here as well. I do respect that he defers to others on zooms and lenses for video.

Hey, does anyone want to hear what's on my "best" list? :hiding: :sorry:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Can I guess O17 or O45 :)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
  20. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    So personal and needs vary too much for a "best" discussion. My two cents.

More useful might be "great value" lenses discussion.
    - The o45 because it's so good and so cheap you might as well have it.
    - The 50-200, again so good and versatile at unbelievably reasonable price.
    - The p20 for IQ if you don't need fast AF...
    • Agree Agree x 1